What is the deal!? Honey Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbr11

Reaction score
Okay so this is my attempt at the White House Honey Porter recipe. It was a kit from my LHBS. I have a few questions... Firstly what are the small specks floating with the hops? Secondly, as you can almost see in one of the pics a small honey bee decided to contribute during my boil and jump in.. Any of you had this happen before? This is just my 2nd 5 gallon batch, did 3 Mr. Beer batches before that were mediocre... Still just a noob and probably freaking over nothing...

image-2710326852.jpg

image-1317658070.jpg

image-3798966978.jpg

image-1715530361.jpg

wilbr11 said:
Okay so this is my attempt at the White House Honey Porter recipe. It was a kit from my LHBS. I have a few questions... Firstly what are the small specks floating with the hops? Secondly, as you can almost see in one of the pics a small honey bee decided to contribute during my boil and jump in.. Any of you had this happen before? This is just my 2nd 5 gallon batch, did 3 Mr. Beer batches before that were mediocre... Still just a noob and probably freaking over nothing...

As a side note, this was the first batch I've boiled outside on the new burner... Seems to have a heavy alcohol smell, but again... Still a noob

the spots look like lupulin. Its the stuff that makes hops hops. Its a yellow powder/oil found at the base of the hop cones.

The bee shouldnt do anything to the beer if it jumped in during the boil.

bacchusmj said:
the spots look like lupulin. Its the stuff that makes hops hops. Its a yellow powder/oil found at the base of the hop cones.

The bee shouldnt do anything to the beer if it jumped in during the boil.

Thanks! Makes me feel a lot better!

Back