Nitrogen vs co2 flushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being near the hops harvest, I'm looking at bulk buying/storing. It seems that all the vendors are doing nitrogen flushing, not CO2.

Does anyone have details on the differences between the two gases when used for storing hops? Does the CO2 break down over time and oxidize the hops, or is this not significant enough of an issue that I should care?

yes, having oxygen in the molecule means that CO2 can break down and oxidize hops (forms carbonic acid with any moisture present). its better than using regular air with 21% free oxygen, but nitrogen is preferable.

Plus, nitrogen is generally cheaper if you're going to use large quantities.

Just found out my CO2 supplier sells high PSI steel N2 tanks (equiv of 20# CO2) for $125. That's not too shabby.

Anyone know how long you should flush a bag for?

krenshaw said:
you can get a vacuum sealer for that same price and use it around the kitchen as well! i would assume that is just as good?

I have one but it doesn't like Mylar bags that much. Oxygen eaters have been pretty amazing (much better than the vacuum sealer), but the price adds up pretty quickly.

I figure there is a reason that folks in industry n2 flush instead of vacuum seal (maybe they do both), but it could also be a gimmick.

Back