first partial mash, possible issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlestos

Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing my first partial mash tomorrow, a honey amber, and just discovered a possible issue. I don't currently have a mash lauter tun so was just planning on doing it in 2 pots. Of course I check today and realize the 2nd pot I was going to use is probably only 3 gallons at best. I do however have a cooler, that is at least 5 gallons and possibly even 8. Since I'm planning on doing this BIAB, can I just use the cooler as the mash tun after I've achieved the right temp? The only real issue I see is having to lift the whole cooler up to the stove to dump it back in. Is there anything else I should be concerned about like this not working?

Thanks in advance
J

So I'm planning on doing my first partial mash tomorrow, a honey amber, and just discovered a possible issue. I don't currently have a mash lauter tun so was just planning on doing it in 2 pots. Of course I check today and realize the 2nd pot I was going to use is probably only 3 gallons at best. I do however have a cooler, that is at least 5 gallons and possibly even 8. Since I'm planning on doing this BIAB, can I just use the cooler as the mash tun after I've achieved the right temp? The only real issue I see is having to lift the whole cooler up to the stove to dump it back in. Is there anything else I should be concerned about like this not working?

Thanks in advance
J

That should work. I'd suggest preheating the cooler first, then mashing right in the cooler. Preheat the cooler, then add the strike water at strike temp (probably about 11 degrees warmer than the desired mash temp), then drop the grainbag right in there. Make sure the grain is loose in the bag, using two (or more) bags if you have to. Stir well to make sure the grain is thoroughly wetted, and then cover and walk away. You'd be all set!

I don't know why you'd have to lift the whole cooler, though- don't you have a drain plug on your cooler?

Actually I don't. Might have to borrow one instead, just to make it less messy.

Thanks for the help
J

Back