Propane Burner Wind problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zplug123

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but have been brewing for almost a year now. I've just graduated to AG by trying out a Terrapin Rye Ale recipe, but I've had problems with my turkey fryer...the wind makes the flames sputter and I need a way to shield the burner.

I was just thinking of using aluminum foil to cover the gaps since it's cheap, but would the sheet metal option be a better choice?

(The burner looks like this)

Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer

This is my solution. It has the benefit of keeping rain and snow out and also conserves propane because all the heat is contained around the pot. Just a roll of regular aluminum flashing from your local building supplier. Nice and ugly too. :D

5408-winter_boiling.jpg

Ugly is good...

Don't want stuff looking too good... People think you know what you are doing then and then they want free "samples"...

:mug:

Use flashing and make sure you have sufficient air flow into the burner. As bradsul posted, it will be far, far, more effective if it goes around the entire pot. You should use it when it's not windy as well, it will still increase your propane efficiency quite a bit.

Crap.

I had all these complicated ideas about using sheet steel, bending it and adding bolts to hold it together...

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, or aluminum flashing...duh.

:eek:

Is there any need for any venting on the flashing?

You will note that in bradsul's picture the flashing is overlapping the wood platform he is using which lets ample air in. If you are setting up something that sits flush at the bottom then you may need to provide for ventilation in some other way.

Just be careful not to let the rubber propane hose touch the flashing for very long while running the burner. The hose can melt, I know this from experience. That made for a long brew day.

Jack

Just be careful not to let the rubber propane hose touch the flashing for very long while running the burner. The hose can melt, I know this from experience. That made for a long brew day.

Jack
+1 it's not visible but I have a 4" wide slot where the supply hose enters the ring. Keeps the hose away from the metal and provides ample ventilation. When it's very windy you sometimes need to babysit a bit in case it comes into contact but that's pretty rare (at least in my own experience).

Jack

Yeah, my Banjo has a folding metal shield to protect the hose, but those turkey fryers don't.

Had a hose on a grill burn through once. It got real interesting for a few minutes.

Thanks for the info guys, luckily I've replace the rubber gas hose with a steel braid type. I'll use the aluminum flashing option, I'll let you know how it goes =)

Back