Trouble taking OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
When I did my first brew last Saturday I had trouble getting an accurate SG reading before I pitched the yeast. The surface of the wort in the fermenter was covered in bubbles... I tried to clear away the bubbles each time I dropped the hydrometer in, but each time the bubbles sort of swarmed around my hydrometer. I could tell that my reading was 1.05x but couldn't get a really clear view of the reading.

How do you guys take your SG reading?

Thanks.

I often have the same problem with a swarm of bubbles. Inside my measurement cylinder I drop in the hydrometer then use a straw to suck away the bubbles.

It sounds like you're using your hydrometer directly in your kettle or fermenter. I would suggest (if I'm correct) that you take a sample with your auto-siphon or wine thief and put it into a graduated cylinder. Then when you drop your hydrometer in, use paper towel to wipe away the bubbles. Also, make sure you are letting the wort get to 60F or so, otherwise your SG reading will be way off.

I take hydro readings right in my bucket with a crapload of bubbles/foam just like you described. So what I do is spray star-san all over my hand (from just above the wrist) and scoop all the bubbles/foam off the top of the brew. Then I can drop my star-san'd hydro right in the bucket.

Been doing it that way for a year and a half. No probs...

Gary

Latest posts

Back