Sediment from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
So i primed keg with sugar for one week.

I then chilled the keg purged and hooked up co2 at 11 psi.

Next day i thought i'd see what the beer looked like. Every pour is filled with hop sediment.

Any suggestions?

Hop sediment or yeast (white/ brown or green)?

How many pours is "every pour"?

with naturally carbonating in a keg you get the sediment like in a bottle, just a whole batch worth. I usually get less than a pitcher worth before it starts running clear, but I'll let it settle longer than a week also. Usually carbonate 3 weeks and then a week or two cold before tapping.

Well, it seems like im getting pieces of hops.

Every pour means three pints so far.

I figured that after a week of conditioning natural that there would be enough to test and see.

Have i ruined by doing that?

Wont be ruined just might be a little sweet, by cooling you are essentially putting the yeast to sleep. A week or so in the fridge will compact the yeast bed at the bottom, then it will come out thicker till the beer starts behind it. If it was decently thick for those 3 pints it should be close to done. I would wait at least week for it to settle and then run it till it thins.

PS: if you dont want to be patient you can pressure carbonate in the future. Just set the regulator at ~12-15psi depending on how carbed you like it, and 4 days later its carbed (still green but carbed anyway)

Leave it alone with the line unhooked for at least another week. If you leave it plugged in, foam city. At cold temps the keg is not ready in a week.

no leave it hooked up, unless your serving temperatures are really high you wont get anymore carbonation from the priming sugar.

So..should i unhook then bleed the keg?

I'm not sure what the question is after reading the responses, sorry.

But it'll be fine. Just leave it in the kegerator, hooked up to the gas. Naturally carbing it vs force carbing it isn't what is making the hops debris float around. That's just from not racking carefully. Eventually it'll stop. Don't move the keg around, and it'll settle faster.

Thanks yooper!

Is it good at 11 psi?

Basically it was primed / conditioned or one week at room temp. I got my co2 tank and regulator in so i chilled the keg and then hooked up the co2 at 11 psi. One day at that in the fridge so far. I poured a glass just because i wanted to see the system working and saw the sediment. I read that taht was normal but i thought id check on my process.

Next time give it more time to naturally carb or don't add sugar and put it on the gas immediately. If it tastes fine, no harm done. If it is sweet, take it out, let it warm up for a couple weeks, and let the yeast do their thing. Sediment is to be expected when carbing with sugar, and I have gotten a tiny bit of sediment even with force carbing. Just run it till it is clear, and it is all good from there on out.

I would still unhook the line for a week personally, then taste to see if it's done or wait another week. If it is not sweet then it is probably done. If the beer carbs up with the gas first, then you could over carbonate when the sugar finishes up. As stated, add sugar at room temp and wait 2-3 weeks and then into the cooler. I have a primed batch stone pale ale clone that I was impatient on for my super bowl party and it got over carbonated due to my impatience. No biggie though, left the relief open for a few minutes and then gassed back up. It's great now, and much better than the commercial one.

I would still unhook the line for a week personally, then taste to see if it's done or wait another week. If it is not sweet then it is probably done. If the beer carbs up with the gas first, then you could over carbonate when the sugar finishes up. As stated, add sugar at room temp and wait 2-3 weeks and then into the cooler. I have a primed batch stone pale ale clone that I was impatient on for my super bowl party and it got over carbonated due to my impatience. No biggie though, left the relief open for a few minutes and then gassed back up. It's great now, and much better than the commercial one.

If he keeps it in the fridge, it shouldnt continue to carb. If he takes it out, it should be unhooked, but still under pressure, if he bleeds the pressure the remaining yeast wont likely be able to pressurize the head space enough to actually continue carbing.

If he keeps it in the fridge, it shouldnt continue to carb. If he takes it out, it should be unhooked, but still under pressure, if he bleeds the pressure the remaining yeast wont likely be able to pressurize the head space enough to actually continue carbing.

So the beer is not carbonating right now in the fridge? when I poured a glass a day ago there was no head.

So I was assuming that here in a few days more it would be "carbed" more.

I think I need a lesson in all this! : )

Back