whiskey barrel stout times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
hey all my wife got me a whiskey barrell for christmas. me and my buddy each brewed a batch of stout to put in it. it is an 8 gallon whiskey barrel that had one batch of whiskey thru it. how long should i let the stout sit in the barrel? i want a moderate flavor but not over the top... i have never used a barrel before. thanks for the input!

Ha. Same here! It's only five gallons though. It's been one month and as soon as the cider finishes fermenting I will switch them out. So the stout will be in there about 6-8 weeks. I don't have my notes but it was 8 Or 9% so I it will probably sit for awhile after bottling.

Sorry it didn't help but I've read through other posts and didn't see many returning threaders.

Ha. Same here! It's only five gallons though. It's been one month and as soon as the cider finishes fermenting I will switch them out. So the stout will be in there about 6-8 weeks. I don't have my notes but it was 8 Or 9% so I it will probably sit for awhile after bottling.

Sorry it didn't help but I've read through other posts and didn't see many returning threaders.

i didnt know if 2 weeks would be enough i want a moderate flavor but not ovr the top. i didnt want it in there too long and it seems like a couple weeks would be plenty of time for it to absorb all of the flavors from the wood.

Back