Voltage downstream of a contactor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehaun

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did some rewiring in my control panel and then tested it with my multimeter. At my two 240 vac outlets, I found 235 vac (on) and 0.25 vac (off) and 235 vac (on) and 1.1 vac (off). I was expecting 0.0 vac with the contactors off. I then tested upstream (236 vac) and downstream (0.85 vac)of my main contactor when it was off. Is this kosher or do I have something wrong?

Even when a contactor is open some current can flow between the open contacts via because of the capacitance between them. As this current is at right angles to the voltage no energy is transferred across an open contactor but if the meter is high impedance (as modern meters are) it may register a small voltage. This is a possible, but not necessarily the, explanation for what you are seeing.

I wouldn't worry about a volt or fraction thereof. It is probably some phenomenon like AJ described. I dislike my digital meter and usually use an old analog one if I am only checking for power and continuity. Watch for auto range too. I scratched my head a few times not realizing my meter was displaying mV.

You should not get any leakage through a contactor. I suspect you're reading your own aura. You might be a lightning attractor... be careful out there.

j/k. If you are downstream of the contactor, it might be something simple like a seebeck effect from dissimilar metals. I wouldn't worry about a volt.

AC voltage? Might be what you're picking up from the walls.

Back