Does this make any sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
1lb. Pilsen Malt
8oz. flaked wheat
8oz. flaked oats
Combined then separated in two grain bags.
Steeped for :45 minutes at 155* - 160*. Lightly lifting occassionally throughout steep.
(Boiled 2 cups water and cooled, covered down to 70*, then rehydrated Safbrew T-58 yeast.)
Removed grains and brought to a boil. Removed from heat.
Added 1lb CBW Bavarian Wheat DME and 1oz. Styrian Golding pellet hops.
Returned to boil for :40 minutes.
Removed from heat and added 5 additional pounds of CBW Bavarian Wheat DME + 1 oz. Coriander, .5 oz Bitter Orange peel and .75 oz. Tangerine peel.
Returned to boil for additional :10 minutes.
Cooled to 65* with IC.
Strained wort into bucket and then poured between bucket and kettle several times to add addtional air.
Poured into 6.5 gallon carboy. Topped up to 5 gallons with fresh water. Plugged carboy and shook vigorously for several minues.
Took a wort sample for OG and added yeast. Added airlock and covered carboy with towel.

The question???
OG was 1.110. Is this even possible? I plugged this recipe into an online program and it should have had an OG of 1.050 max. With this measured OG I would have had a 200% efficiency with the steeping grains.
What say ye? :confused: Sorry for the long post.

So you have 6 lbs of DME? That would give you an OG of 1.054 in 5 gallons.

All those grains need to be mashed to get anything. I'm sure a few enzymes managed to convert some of the starches, but if you used a large volume of water to steep in, you will not have gotten much conversion, so you will not get much from them except for some starch/haze.

I assume you took your sample from the bottom of the fermenter? the boiled wort and top-off water didn't mix very well.

Looks like a nice recipe. However, something is definitely amiss. Either you added twice as much extract as you thought you did, or there is something wrong with the measurement. Did you correct the hydrometer measurement for temperature? I would probably take another hydrometer measurement and see where it's at. If it's been in the fermented a couple of days I would do a refractometer measurement as well and calculate percent sugar by weight, ABV, and estimated OG.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/02/refractometer-summary-of-equations.html

I assume you took your sample from the bottom of the fermenter? the boiled wort and top-off water didn't mix very well.

I originally thought the same thing but:

Poured into 6.5 gallon carboy. Topped up to 5 gallons with fresh water. Plugged carboy and shook vigorously for several minues.

I'm sure a few enzymes managed to convert some of the starches, but if you used a large volume of water to steep in, you will not have gotten much conversion, so you will not get much from them except for some starch/haze.

The boil was at 2.5 gallons.

Either you added twice as much extract as you thought you did, or there is something wrong with the measurement. Did you correct the hydrometer measurement for temperature?

No, the extract was in (2) three lb bags. I weighed out the first lb and then used the additional for the late boil addition. By the time I took my hydrometer reading the temperature was around 65*F which would be a .001 addition the actual reading. This has been in the fermenter for about two - three hours and is already showing activity. I will take another reading from the middle to the top and compare.

Thanks for the input.

Check your hydrometer for accuracy. It should read 1.000 in distilled water. Tap water should be somewhere close to that.

Went back for a second reading and did a somewhat better than mild aggitation before removing the air lock. Now it is lower. As stated above it must not have been a really good mix when I pulled from them bottom. It is now at 1.050. Wow that really had me messed up. I knew something was wrong, but fealt like I had covered all my bases. Apparently it takes allot more aggitation than what I originally did to get a a good mix. I wanted a nice beer but 13% was considerably more tha I was looking for.
Thanks for all the responses.

Fpor some reason, even really good shaking doesn't mix the wort completely. Fortunately the yeast can still get to the sugars.

Back