Brewing Gloves!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revansCAAD8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I recently started using a pump, hoses, and camlocks I'm realizing that I need some brewing gloves! Something not overly thick but is heat resistant and can take some moisture. What do you use?

Thanks,
Robert

I use leather welding gloves, but as mentioned already not good for moisture. I really only need them during dry operations though, so they work for me.

I just hang an old hand towel on my brew stand and use that to handle hot stuff. Gets wet? Just use a different corner.

Yep.
I've worked in kitchens most of my life. I own a restaurant now. A dry towel, many of them actually, is always nearby. Useful for many tasks.

One towel on the apron to wipe moisture and grime off, two towels to hold hot things, and a fourth that I keep tucked in the back of my apron for wiping down anything with sanitizer, not that given action makes it sanitary.
Kitchen style.

I have these...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-brewing-gloves.html

...and they work well. Not heat resistent where u can hold ur hand over a burner, but enough to keep hot water from leaving blisters/burns.

U could also look into the Ove-Glove, I know some people who use those too but they aren't good for moisture.

Thx, these look nice and have good reviews. Just hate to pay the shipping for just gloves :-(

Yes, towels and mits can be used but a bit of a pain especially with on HOT camlocks.

Robert

I bought some cheap Ove-Glove knock-offs at Menard's. They work fine for removing camlocks and holding hot tubing.

The Blichmann gloves come in real handy if there's a problem with your hose coming loose inside the mash tun. Gotta work fast, though, since they're not very insulated.

I bought some cheap Ove-Glove knock-offs at Menard's. They work fine for removing camlocks and holding hot tubing.

The Blichmann gloves come in real handy if there's a problem with your hose coming loose inside the mash tun. Gotta work fast, though, since they're not very insulated.

First time i ever used them i had to go into my MLT. They worked but he's right, u gotta be quick.

I use these when I barbecue. Look pretty similar to the NB gloves, and shipping is included.

www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

And for what its worth i'd buy these right now, i just bought a pair. These have a cloth lining on the inside that my blichmann ones don't.

Go to a restaurant supply store, most towns have at least one, no shipping, probably more durable.

Personally, I just do like baseball players, pee on my hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm a fireman, I have about 3 pair of old firefighter gloves laying around the house. They work great for brewing, smoking meats, and anytime I want to hold my hand in an open flame.

There are two different needs...one for handling hot things, and one for cleaning things, reaching into buckets of PBW solution, etc. For the latter, you can't beat the Blichmann gloves. Various people have suggested good ideas for the former. There's no reason not to have both.

Well since I was already placing an order via Amazon (free shipping), I ordered these. I haven't used them yet but the LRG 14" PVC coated ones ($7.54) are a bit too big but should work well for cleaning, the MED Nitrile coated gloves ($3.75) fit perfectly and should work well with brewday hot camlocks/hoses. Pretty cheap but time will tell if they work out/hold up. Thanks for the help gang!

20130828_000004752.jpg

20130828_000004753.jpg

Glad you found some. I was just going to recommend these, but they are a bit more expensive. :mug:

image.jpg

Since I'm a fireman, I have about 3 pair of old firefighter gloves laying around the house. They work great for brewing, smoking meats, and anytime I want to hold my hand in an open flame.
I use firefighter gloves too and they work great. I used to be a firefighter.

erikrocks said:
Do the Blichmann gloves offer enough insulation to use when switching hose quick disconnects?

They work well enough to reach in a boiling kettle and quickly adjust the dip tube. Not that I recommend you do that but I had to do it once.

Latest posts

Back