Why I don't shop my LHBS...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrogpilot73

Loving the hobby
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The SWMBO and my folks were out and about today, and I decided to swing by the LHBS to get a stopper for my 1L Erlenmeyer flask that I got for Christmas. I told them specifically "I need a drilled stopper for a 1L Erlenmeyer flask", and I also wanted to get a bung for my Better Bottle.

First, no bungs whatsoever. I decide to go with a drilled stopper. They gave me the wrong size for both, and I didn't realize until I got home. Combine this with the fact that they don't sell DME in bulk (I'm still an extract + grains guy), and that their price for DME is $3.00 more/pound than BMW.

They do have good prices on bulk grains and random stuff, so I'll still hit them up on occasion, but thank god for BMW...

That's good news. When they sell you the wrong sized replacement flask, you'll be all set.

I hear you. I asked one of the local LHBS near me for Victory malt and they told me Melanoidin was the same thing and that's all they stocked. I'd agree Melanoidin could be viewed as an alternative, but only if you're happy producing a different result.

The SWMBO and my folks were out and about today, and I decided to swing by the LHBS to get a stopper for my 1L Erlenmeyer flask that I got for Christmas. I told them specifically "I need a drilled stopper for a 1L Erlenmeyer flask", and I also wanted to get a bung for my Better Bottle.

First, no bungs whatsoever. I decide to go with a drilled stopper. They gave me the wrong size for both, and I didn't realize until I got home. Combine this with the fact that they don't sell DME in bulk (I'm still an extract + grains guy), and that their price for DME is $3.00 more/pound than BMW.

They do have good prices on bulk grains and random stuff, so I'll still hit them up on occasion, but thank god for BMW...

Interested to know what LHBS it was? I noticed that I have been steering away form the LHBS (probably the same one next to a Men's Warehouse) and shopping more online.

Don't want to give bad press about any business on here since I still use them and they have not done me wrong; but know plenty of people in our area who has had major issues there.

In fairness, there is no standard stopper for an Erlenmeyer flask. Did you take the flask to the store to match it up?

When I order my flasks, they have a different size opening almost every time they arrive.

If the flask was purchased there, then they should have grabbed one off of the shelf and made sure it fit.

And there are so many brands of flasks out there that I wouldn't be able to tell you what size unless I had it in my hands and fitted it with a stopper.

Forrest

Are you talking about hombrew USA in Norfolk? I never had an issue with them. They use to have a crappy website but it looks good now. I found a bunch of ants in my grain once but thats about it.

Are you talking about hombrew USA in Norfolk? I never had an issue with them. They use to have a crappy website but it looks good now. I found a bunch of ants in my grain once but thats about it.

Those were probably weevils.

I hear you. I asked one of the local LHBS near me for Victory malt and they told me Melanoidin was the same thing and that's all they stocked. I'd agree Melanoidin could be viewed as an alternative, but only if you're happy producing a different result.
Kind of the same thing, they only carry White Labs. My old LHBS carried both, and if I've gotten a recipe to exactly where I want it - I'm hesitant to change the yeast. But I guess I could try.

The guy there told me he only carried White Labs because you didn't need to make a starter, and you did need to make a starter for Wyeast. That's news to me...

Interested to know what LHBS it was? I noticed that I have been steering away form the LHBS (probably the same one next to a Men's Warehouse) and shopping more online.

Don't want to give bad press about any business on here since I still use them and they have not done me wrong; but know plenty of people in our area who has had major issues there.
I think it's actually next to a K&G Men's Wear. I feel like it's kind of hit and miss there. Whenever the owners are there, I enjoy the experience. When they're not, well...

In fairness, there is no standard stopper for an Erlenmeyer flask. Did you take the flask to the store to match it up?
This I did not know. I'll be going back with flask in hand tomorrow...

1. You should use foil, not a stopper if you are making starters with that flask!!
2. What is the difference between a bung and a drilled stopper?
Just out of curiosity, why no stopper?

A bung is like a stopper, but hollow out the space between the edge of the stopper and the hole and you have a bung. I've got both, and think the bung fits in my Better Bottle a little better.

no stopper because the point of a starter is to get the yeast to grow! just san some tin foil, and put it loosely over the top :)

no stopper because the point of a starter is to get the yeast to grow! just san some tin foil, and put it loosely over the top :)
Ahhh, this would be the first time I've made a starter and I was planning on using a drilled stopper with and airlock. But only because that's what I've seen in all the books I've read thus far...

Well, after browsing their website and feeling bad that I'm not supporting my LHBS when I head back tomorrow to exchange the stoppers I think I'm either going to pick up the ingredients for my next brew (although they don't have what I normally use, so I'm going to have to do substitutions), or buy one of their custom recipes. Thinking about the fact that they're very supportive of the local homebrew club (that I'm going to join), and that this is probably some guy's life savings... They get a third chance...

Yes what he said - there are two technical reasons, you want the gas exchange that allows C02 to escape and allows oxygen in, and second, you don't want the pressure on the yeast that the airlock would provide, it negatively impacts the ability of the yeast to grow. And on a non technical note, it is so much easier!

I think it's actually next to a K&G Men's Wear. I feel like it's kind of hit and miss there. Whenever the owners are there, I enjoy the experience. When they're not, well...

Yeah I agree that the owners (especially the lady) are awesome and always have good information, stories, and just recipes or ideas to brew from. The kids (two younger guys) are quick to try to help out; but sometimes give me wrong information or not get the point across.

There custom kits are great (wife made their Jack O Pumpkin Ale and it was amazing...) and not that bad priced. I also am able to bring in a printed off recipe from here and get a "kit" made up addressing everything.

The one problem I really had there though seems similar to yours. I was harvesting yeast and wanted to get a yeast starter and the ones who helped me out just had this look of "why would you want to do this". They do have a small collection of non-liquid yeast (right across from the register) and when, I think it was Nottingham dry yeast packet, was bad they quickly insured that I did not get one of those batches and quickly 86'ed any they had.

I'm awaiting for them to do a brew day or get a group together for the next Beer and Craft Show down at the beach.... would love to see what other locals share out passion and taste their brews.

Let me know how the yeast chemistry set goes too. Just got a flask recently on a craigslist deal and was thinking of doing a harvesting project.

I am not trying to put any one on blast, and this is not the first time i have noticed it, but why are people so hesitant to say the name of a LHBS?

I am not trying to put any one on blast, and this is not the first time i have noticed it, but why are people so hesitant to say the name of a LHBS?

I don't like doing it because I don't want to give them bad press due to perhaps a bad experience due to one employee or for maybe me being wrong in what I am explaining. I'll give the LHBS good press at a drop of a dime whenever I get a good kid or say out of the way customer experience.

I guess i am different. I have no problem putting a lhbs out there if they have done something to warrant a *****
Even though they've done something to warrant me to ***** (and I think I was spoiled by my previous LHBS), they're still a decent place. Much of my complaints are minor and don't warrant someone to cease doing business with them.

Case in point - I went back today to exchange the stoppers. They don't carry any other sizes than 7.5 and 10.5, nor do they carry Better Bottles or Better Bottle bungs, so I'll have to get those online. They took back the stoppers and gave me store credit (which was fine because I was picking up a bit of a grain bill as well). They crushed the grains for me, and I got them in a kitchen trash bag. The hops were in a sealed bag (not vacuum sealed or oxygen barrier packaging like I'm accustomed to from BMW or my old LHBS). Since I wasn't planning on brewing for a couple of weeks, I broke out the Food Saver and repackaged the hops and the grains.

All total (factoring shipping with BMW and tax with the LHBS), BMW comes in $4.00 less for the same order. I think if I plan on brewing within a couple of days, I may give them the occasional nod - but I'll mostly stick with BMW.

I did walk out with a recipe for a hard lemonade, and some tips for making a good cider. There's pluses and minuses for both the LHBS and online, so I don't want to mention who the LHBS is in case my minuses aren't a problem for other brewers in the area.

Good points.

Is this the LHBS near Military Circle Mall?
That's the one! Once I get active with the local homebrew club (amazingly, what I have in my pipeline is what the upcoming brew contests are), I may change my mind about the LHBS...

Oh, and just noticed in your sig who your LHBS is. I went there once, but was equidistant between them and Annapolis Home Brew. A High School classmate owned Annapolis Home Brew, so that's where I went.

is the one near mil circle still the only one around? Man, I bet if someone opened a good LHBS in VA Beach they would make some decent money off it. There seems to be a ton of brewers in VA Beach.

Well there is some restaurant and brew shop also in Norfolk; but a very SMALL selection. I would love for one to option in Va Beach near Sandbridge area... cause I live in that area and hate driving out to Military Circle area.

Well there is some restaurant and brew shop also in Norfolk; but a very SMALL selection. I would love for one to option in Va Beach near Sandbridge area... cause I live in that area and hate driving out to Military Circle area.
How 'bout we partner it up and open it up halfway between Sandbridge and Kempsville... So we have an equal commute? ;)

My LHBS is ok...all of their yeasts are really old and the hops are usually have been sitting around. Its good for misc items, like stoppers, water additives etc. Thats why I get all my perishables and big items from NB,AHS and most recently Brew Masters Warehouse. Speaking of that BrewMasters Warehouse has amazing customer service. They were out of a 3L flask so they sent me a 5 instead! And when they were out of a particular yeast they called and let me know and if I wanted to swap for another yeast.

How 'bout we partner it up and open it up halfway between Sandbridge and Kempsville... So we have an equal commute? ;)

That would put it right around Lynnhaven or possibly around London Bridge... could work. Now just got to wait for my winning lotto ticket.... oh and I have to buy a ticket, from what SWMBO tells me, to be able to win... damn... I think we just need to convince Austin or BMW to open a shop in our area... I'll take a part time job for pricing at cost :)

Did you get their hard lemonade kit or did you get the one from the owner (older female)? I heard from one of my brew buddies and neighbor that she has a great recipe for hard lemonade.

Did you get their hard lemonade kit or did you get the one from the owner (older female)? I heard from one of my brew buddies and neighbor that she has a great recipe for hard lemonade.
Didn't get the kit, the other owner (her husband) printed up the recipe off the computer for me. Like I said, their customer service when they are around is pretty good.

I don't buy the lotto tickets either... Maybe after I open a brewpub and they become franchises and a household name, I can retire and just hang around and fund our LHBS in Lynnhaven. :D

I'll go in with you guys...

I also find myself ordering online rather than going in to that LHBS. I'm an all grain brewer and buying a 55lb sack (2-row is $61, MO is $79)from them is almost the same price as buying per pound from BMW. I also do not like that they do not carry wyeast, as that is what I prefer because I can tell if the yeast is viable even before I pitch it in the starter...
I guess I should join the brew club and get the discount that they offer. When and where do they meet?

Case in point - I went back today to exchange the stoppers. They don't carry any other sizes than 7.5 and 10.5, nor do they carry Better Bottles or Better Bottle bungs, so I'll have to get those online.

I had this problem when I was looking for a couple stoppers recently to make the BMBF...if you go to http://www.wineandcake.com/ they have a whole bunch of different sized stoppers!!! They are right off of northern part of Tidewater Drive in Norfolk. You won't have to resort to ordering online.

I went there after not finding them at Homebrew USA. I have often wondered why they only carry those couple stoppers at HBUSA, it would make sense to carry all the different sizes...

I guess I should join the brew club and get the discount that they offer. When and where do they meet?
The owners are helpful, but I come to this site if I need advice.

If you want more information about the local HB club it is called the "Beer and Ale Research Foundation" (BARF for short, lol) and they have a website here: http://www.barfclub.org . I am a current member and it is awesome, there are a bunch of great local homebrewers that go to the meetings. I love going. We are actually having a Richmond pub crawl this weekend as a club. Can' wait!!!

I had this problem when I was looking for a couple stoppers recently to make the BMBF...if you go to http://www.wineandcake.com/ they have a whole bunch of different sized stoppers!!! They are right off of northern part of Tidewater Drive in Norfolk. You won't have to resort to ordering online.

I went there after not finding them at Homebrew USA. I have often wondered why they only carry those couple stoppers at HBUSA, it would make sense to carry all the different sizes...

If you want more information about the local HB club it is called the "Beer and Ale Research Foundation" (BARF for short, lol) and they have a website here: http://www.barfclub.org . I am a current member and it is awesome, there are a bunch of great local homebrewers that go to the meetings. I love going. We are actually having a Richmond pub crawl this weekend as a club. Can' wait!!!

I need more info about this BARF club. Heard about it; but all of my local home brew buddies do not belong to it. Always looking to add more brew buddies in my speed dial and people to share some brews with.

This weekend in Richmond? Hmmm I will actually be stuck in Richmond Friday-Monday for business and might need your pub crawl schedule for a place to go :) Already was planning on hitting up the Capital Alehouse in Inns Brooke since my hotel is near it :mug:

I have had issues with every reputable online dealer and my LHBS, all of them were correctly handled... but the point is, stuff can go wrong. Unless deliberate poor customer service is issued I will give people a second (or third) chance. You'll find your LHBS is better for some stuff that you can't wait (yeast starter messed up :cross:) and online better for some of the stuff you can plan (and credit card impulse buys).

I need more info about this BARF club. Heard about it; but all of my local home brew buddies do not belong to it. Always looking to add more brew buddies in my speed dial and people to share some brews with.

This weekend in Richmond? Hmmm I will actually be stuck in Richmond Friday-Monday for business and might need your pub crawl schedule for a place to go :) Already was planning on hitting up the Capital Alehouse in Inns Brooke since my hotel is near it :mug:

I actually just found out the pub crawl is postponed because of the possible winter storm that could happen again.... :( They are trying for the next weekend on Feb 13th.

As for the BARF club they meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month as well as have various other events and contests throughout the year. If you go to: http://www.barfclub.org They have a calendar of events and there is also a forum there you can post on.

I actually just found out the pub crawl is postponed because of the possible winter storm that could happen again.... :( They are trying for the next weekend on Feb 13th.

As for the BARF club they meet on the 2nd Thursday of each month as well as have various other events and contests throughout the year. If you go to: http://www.barfclub.org They have a calendar of events and there is also a forum there you can post on.

I'm going to have to check out BARF when my schedule gets back to normal! Need a support group errr brewing club to get with to further my hobby. I can only tell the SWMBO so many times about my latest brew :tank:

Latest posts

Back