Prunes in Secondary/Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnrub

Reaction score
I recently kegged a 9% Belgian strong dark ale. The beer is really dry and somewhat lacking in depth, and I thought adding some fruit might give it some sweetness and complexity. I put 4 oz. of finely chopped prunes into a muslin bag, soaked in boiling water, then put the bag plus the water into the keg. Has anyone tried this approach before? Does it work? Is 4 oz. in 5 gallons enough? Thanks much.

I'd think you would need more like 2lbs+ to get any flavor from them. Make sure they're not sprayed with oil or preservatives. I'd be more concerned with the oil.

Prunes will probably suck up a decent amount of beer since they're dehydrated, so you'll end up with less finished product.

I've used both dried currants and dried sour cherries - 2lbs per 5 gallons with good results.

I'd go for figs personally. I find that sweeter fruits in higher abv beers tend to bring out cough syrup flavors. I did have success with dried figs in a porter secondary for 3 weeks though. Reconstituted them in some water then boiled it down to a syrup. It came out amazing. Just my opinion though. I'd like to know what you do and how it turns out.

JDFlow said:
I'd go for figs personally. I find that sweeter fruits in higher abv beers tend to bring out cough syrup flavors. I did have success with dried figs in a porter secondary for 3 weeks though. Reconstituted them in some water then boiled it down to a syrup. It came out amazing. Just my opinion though. I'd like to know what you do and how it turns out.

I've often thought of adding figs or dates to a nice dark Belgian style beer. Once I can't get anymore fresh fruit for the season, I'll give it a try. Sounds delicious to me.

Latest posts

Back