alternative squash for a pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I SWEAR I read a post a few months back that mentioned a "better" squash for pumpkin beer, besides a standard pumpkin, but i can't find the post for the life of me. I'm dedicated to using real pumpkin or squash and roasting it before adding it to the mash. does anyone know the post i'm talking about? could you link it, or let me know what type of squash it is. and i'm not talking about acceptable alternatives, i distinctly recall the post said that this particular squash was much better at giving a true pumpkin flavor. maybe it was a specific pumpkin variety. my local whole foods has "sugar pie" pumpkins for sale right now, and supposedly they're for baking instead of carving, so i'll be using those if i can't find this post.

thanks!

Sugar Pie is going to be the cooking/food pumpkin. Jack-o-lantern pumpkins are, ummm, not very flavorful, though the roasted seeds are pretty good. MIght edit, I know of one place to check.

Here is a little info on Simply recipes:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000842pumpkin_bread.php

SR.com said:
If you use pumpkin purée from a can you might get a stronger pumpkin flavor than using Halloween pumpkin. Jack-o-lantern pumpkins are raised for their durability more than for their taste. But if you have a sugar pumpkin, butternut squash, or a Japanese kabocha pumpkin, those cook up deliciously

Also found a little piece on winter squashes in general:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=63

foods.com said:
Winter squash, members of the Cucurbitaceae family and relatives of both the melon and the cucumber, come in many different varieties

Amd here is a big fan of white winter squash:

http://www.recipezaar.com/99416

I don't know how this will go over in beer, but Alton Brown of Good Eats fame says that sweet potatoes will give you the best "pumpkin pie" you've ever eaten, so maybe try those instead.

eulipion2 said:
I don't know how this will go over in beer, but Alton Brown of Good Eats fame says that sweet potatoes will give you the best "pumpkin pie" you've ever eaten, so maybe try those instead.

I have 5 gallons of sweet potato ESB in the secondary ready for bottling next week. The brew day was about 12hrs long because of a stuck sparge. I was using a stainless braid and it twisted about an inch from the bulkhead. peeling all of those potato's took a long a$$ time also. from the last taste I had I cant really confirm the pumpkin flavor but I will keep you posted on that.

Go with butternut squash, amazing pie crust flavor. The "pumpkin pie" flavor really comes more from the spices like cinnamon and nutmeg etc.

Grains/Malt/Pumpkin
• 6-lbs light malt extract (2 cans)
• 6 large butternut squashes cubed and baked in the oven
• ½-lb carapils
• 1-lb Munich malt
• 1-lbs Vienna malt
• ½-lb crystal malt 60L

90 Minute Boil

• 1 ½ -oz Chinook at 90-minutes (beginning of boil)
• 1-tbsp Cinnamon and ½-tbsp Nutmeg at 90-minutes

• 1/2-oz Willamette and ½ -oz Cascade at 20-minutes left
• 1-tbsp Cinnamon and 1/2-tbsp Nutmeg ½ tbsp crushed coriander seed at
20-minutes left
• 1-tbsp Irish moss for clarifying at 20-minutes left

• ½ -oz Cascade at 2-minute left
• 1-tbsp Cinnamon, 1-tbsp Nutmeg and 1tbsp crushed Coriander seed at 2-minute

The "biscuit" flavor from the Vienna/Munich malts along with the butternut squash will provide the pie shell flavor similar to pumpkin pie. If possible use whole leaf hops instead of pelleted hops or hop plugs so they can be strained out after the boil. The squash in this beer will clog any screens or filtering equipment, so it is best to do any filtering with a large holed kitchen colander, followed by a strainer, then let the extra squash settle out during the primary fermentation.

About 2 hours before brewing, remove the squash skin and cut up the squash into 1/2 inch cubes, caramelize the squash on cookie sheets by baking at 350 degrees for about 1 and ½ -hours. The squash will turn a dark brown color on the sides and edges.

Steep grains at 160 degrees for 30 minutes.

Bring the wort to a boil while adding the caramelized pumpkin, then and first hop/spice addition. Note, this will be a 90-minute boil at the last 20-minutes, add the second hop/spice addition. With 20-minutes remaining, add the Irish moss. At the last two minutes, add the remaining hops/spices and remove from heat. Using colander to strain out extra hops and additaves, add to carboy diluting to a full 5-gallons, and pitch yeast. My OG reading was over 1.08, mainly due to an excessive amount of squash fiber floating in the wort. Let ferment for about 5 days. There will be a tremendous trub on the bottom of the carboy. This is common due to the squash fibers in the beer.

You will have to watch it while you rack as it can clog the tube, the best thing to do is hold the sipon above the large level of trub. Rack the beer and let sit about 2-weeks. Another large trube may develop as there is a lot of fiber floating around in this beer. Rack again and let sit in carboy for about another 4-6 weeks.

This beer gets better with time, it is a little hoppy, and has a bit of a bite to it due to the addition of spices, this all mellows over time, so it is better the longer it sits. I had my last one after 3 months of fermentation and 2 months in the bottles, it was amazing, and it will be missed. It is a shame I won't be able to have any of this ready for thanksgiving or christmass.

I was considering dialing back on the hops and adding of some lactose for sweetness, but maybe next summer when I brew it again.

Based on advice I received this year I went with a butter pumpkin for my pumpkin pie. I have to say its hands down the best pie I've ever made. Exactly what I've always wanted pumpkin pie to taste like. I guess it would translate over to the beer pretty well.

Back