Tasty Mcdoles APA....IBU's not right in beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing to consider is that there are different scales for IBU calculations. Tinseth, Rager, Garetz. They all give different numbers. Check to see which scale you are using.

I use Tinseth and find that works for me the best.

Hi guys,

I am not trying to do a partial boil. I like to do 2.5 gallon batches. As far as the 3 calculations, I went to tools, options, and bitterness, but once I changed them it didnt move from 19.2......

Thank you for your imput!

I just plugged that recipe into Beersmith, and my results are similar to yours. I get 26 IBUs at 5 gallons, full boil. Something is amiss with that recipe.

My guess is that you're not getting the correct IBU's from the flameout/1 min additions. He's adding 2.5 oz of hops then, and then I know he does a whirlpool (probably 20 min or so). Try adding 20 min to all the hop additions at the end and see what BS says.

He uses rager to calculate hops which will increase the ibus anywhere between 5 and 15 compared to the other formulas

So you do guys think its just beersmith or its the recipe is listed wrong. I would image 10 ibu's could offset the balance in a beer like this.

I would bump all hop additions to .3 that will bring the IBUs up to 37.9 (90 min boil) and if you calculate the bitterness you will get from the casade (which most likely isnt 0) it will be darn close.

So, I read a couple of posts giving a nod to "Tasty". I'm thinking "It might be nice to find a few of his post and sse what he has to say"

I'm preparing to do a search and before I even get there, the futility of the situation strikes me.

"Tasty"

...on a beer forum.

Also, newer BS users sometimes don't realize that even though a particular hops varietal will have 15% AAs one season and 12% the next season. Make sure the software reflects the AAs of YOUR hops. Do that, and as mentioned, add 5-10 IBUSs for the 20 min whirlpool, and use the same formula that Tasty used.

Ultimately, tailor the IBUs to what YOU want, and don't worry too much if it doesn't reflect the recipe exactly. Normally I tell folks to brew the recipe exactly, but IBUs are one of those things that I think a brewer has a little "artistic license" with.

10 IBUs is not a huge deal when brewing a beer with a lot of late hop additions anyway. I second using Tinseth and double checking the AA in Beersmith. Rager always tasted a little low to me.

Latest posts

Back