White scum in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
I will try to describe this the best I can. I have a Canadian Ale in the secondary. I racked it over about 2 weeks ago. Within the last 2 days a white ;ooking scum formed on the inside wall of the carboy??? Looks real thick on the bottom of the carboy. I opened it and it smelled fine. I will try to a picture and post it. If was contaminated would ther be a bad smell??
Thanks
ToBrew

An infection will generally form on the top of the beer. You can always carefully pull a sample from the fermenter and taste it. It won't hurt you, and might give you an indication of whether there is an infection or not.

As a reference, here's an infection (although this one was intentional for a sour beer):

IMG_5627.JPG

It did not look like that. There was just some where the ridges are around the carboy. Getting ready to bottle it. Opened it up and it smelled a little yeasty no fowl oders. Will try to upload a pic as soon as i figure out how to.
ToBrew

Back