bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmiguel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought several 1 litter bottles for my beer.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30213552/

This is the first time I use glass and not plastic so I am a bit worried about having some of the bottles exploding :).
FErmentation has been going on for 4/5 weeks already so thats should be enough.

The questions is how many cm I should leave without beer on the top of the bottle and if I should be very careful with the amount of sugar. I have coopers drops which should be for only 0.75, shall that be enough?

Thanks a lot!!

If the bottle neck had a label, you would fill it to just the bottom of that label. I'd worry more about skunking with those bottles.

Nice! Unless you are going to keep the bottles in a dark place most of the time, I would spray paint the bottles a solid color up to the neck.

I use (and reuse) flip top bottles and it seems to me they can take more pressure than regular bottles/caps.

Leave about 2.5cm from the very top and you should be fine. Did you check if those bottles were meant to handle the pressure of carbonation? I would keep them in a rubbermaid tub with a lid to prevent skunking and contain shards if you end up with bombs.

I'm going to have to second OClair's thoughts here -- I would be very surprised if these bottles were rated to safely hold pressure. Though I'm not sure about Norway, I know it's relatively simple -- and seemingly less expensive, at the 2.50 Euro shown on the Ikea site -- to buy proper brown swingtop bottles from an LHBS or bottle supplier in North America. I would be very cautious using the Ikea bottles if you go forward with them -- the rubbermaid tub is an excellent idea.

Back