Should I toss my better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel80

Reaction score
Out of sheer ignorance, I racked a batch out of a 5 gallon better bottle for bottling and forgot to soak in oxyclean as usual. My last trip to the brewroom made me aware that I went nearly two weeks without cleaning it at all. I just soaked in OxyClean today. I didn't notice any horrendous smells. It looks clean but I hate to waste a batch of beer just to find out if it's OK. Is this better bottle salvageable?

You should be able to clean it. Do what you can to avoid pulling out a brush. Hot pbw does wonders. You could also try some kind of recirculating pressure washer. Like the one more beer started selling.

Drop a dishrag in there with some warm water and swirl it around, it will clean the sides of it for you.

Don't chuck it, it'll be fine as others have stated. Just don't let it soak in Oxy or PBW too long, it becomes brittle...

Latest posts

Back