Turkey Fryer Oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea how long it is safe to save and reuse fryer oil? I'm sure it has been too long, but thought I'd ask. Used once to fry a turkey.

Having worked in the restaurant business for quite some time, as long as you don't let it get above 350 or so, you will be fine using it until it starts to turn dark and a little smoke rises from it without any food cooking, especially if you are using it to cook the same or similar things. If you are planning on frying fish then something lighter in flavor like turkey, you may want to refresh, because foods like fish can really change the flavor of the oil. I don't think it really breaks down that fast, and as long as it's still clean and doesn't smell rancid, I would think it's still good to use.

I could very well be completely wrong here, but I also heard that after the first use, you only have a short time to reuse it before it goes bad altogether. For instance, you could use it for Thanksgiving and then again later that week, but not for Christmas as that's too late...

Thanks. I think I'll get some new. I did a turkey this summer and put the oil back in the cube container. But it has sat in the garage since then. Sounds kinda iffy so I'll start over and not worry about it.

Ron

It lasts a while. Refridgerate for best results once used. If it smells rank, smokes a lot when heated and/or tastes funny then it's no good anymore.

I liken it to milk. Drinking milk that's past it's prime isn't good - it tastes and smells AWFUL. But it won't kill you. At least not unless you need a fork to 'drink' it...

Filtered, capped, and kept in a cool place it will last a long time...up to a year or more.

Back