Belgian Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I have a few of the big belgian bottles from Duvel and Unibroue. Any way of using them for my belgians without a corker? I looked and couldn't find anything relevant on here. Thanks. Cheers

Hi

If they are like the ones I have, you either need a corker or an imitation corker (= home made equivalent).

Bob

Actually it depends on exactly what type of lip they have. If you have one of those red hand cappers, you CAN flip the metal plates over to the wider side, and buy a bell at your lhbs, along with larger cap made to fit some bottles that belgian beers come in. The ones that are like champagne bottles. I'm leaving work now, I'll try to put something together when I get to my place to show you.

Ok I'm back. Half of the belgian beers I get are bottled in 29mm Champagne bottles. They don't have the rounded lip of the othe Belgian cork and cage bottles.

light_weight_champagne.jpg

You can bottle these with your red emily capper, by pulling out and flipping the metal plates, and buying a 29mm capping bell.
champagne-adapter.jpg

And these caps from Norther Brewer.

If it's this style,

0101546.jpg

you need corks and cages....You can however use a portugese corker to do it. We have a thread here.

I'm not sure the name. They have a 'spiral' hold on tab that you have to take off first. They work on most Belgian bottles but I have found a few that didn't carbonate completely

Thanks guys. I wish I had thought of it earlier. My father makes wine and has a corker. Nice floor standing one. But he just recently retired to Florida. Yes Revvy they are the rounded topped bottles.

Latest posts

Back