What's a Kolsch supposed to taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
Being new to brewing, I'm attempting to brew as many different types that I can. I'm drinking my Kolsch as of writing this and I am wondering if this is what a Kolsch supposed to taste like. The Kolsch I've bottled is flat. I don't think this is normal and may be due to me accidently freezing it during the cold crash.

At any rate, does anyone know of any Kolsches (or Kolsch replicas) on the market that would be a good example for me to taste.

Thanks!

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Northeast, Harpoon's Summer is Kolsch. Quite a tasty one too.

If you are on the West Coast, Trader Joe's just had a large shipment of kolsch to tons of their stores. $6 for a bottled 6er I think. Not sure if its good to "to style" but it was labeled Kolsch. A lot of their microbrew and Trader Joe's brand beer is pretty good and relatively inexpensive.

If you are on the West Coast, Trader Joe's just had a large shipment of kolsch to tons of their stores. $6 for a bottled 6er I think. Not sure if its good to "to style" but it was labeled Kolsch. A lot of their microbrew and Trader Joe's brand beer is pretty good and relatively inexpensive.

+1 I saw some today. Also their Trader Jose Dark is very good and cheap!

I brewed a Kolsch twice. First time was good. I compared it to a kolsch on tap at Ram's head Tavern in Maryland. My second one was better. I cold crashed it in my keezer for a few weeks, then kegged it. My first on was bottled. I had decent carbonation after the cold crash. Did you let it carb up at warmer temp? (70 degrees)? Mine took about 4 weeks in the bottle to be great.

Thanks for all the responses to this post. Very helpful. I'm located in Indianapolis and have a Trade Joe's nearby.

I did let it warm up to 70 degrees and probably should have repitched before bottling. It was my first time lagering so lesson learned. I do have my first Pilsner lagering right now(it's been lagering since March) and I may repitch a small amount of yeast to ensure carbonation.

OT a bit...those Trader Joe's micros are usually brewed by an established microbrewer and labeled as TJ's. It depends on the variety, but I know for a while they had 3 different lagers and the package said they were brewed by Trader Joe's brewery (or something like that) in San Jose, CA which meant Gordon Biersch. This was a few years ago and they may have expanded since then, and it might be different elsewhere in the country. But yes the beers are pretty tasty for the price.

A Kolsch is not supposed to be lagered. It has a fermentation range of 55-70 degrees, but is definitely not a lager.

Freezing the beer likely settled more of the yeast out than you are used to. You can always open each bottle, put a few grains of dry yeast in, and then reseal. Careful about leaving them open very long though.

Also, I would maybe put them somewhere warm for a few more weeks to see if you can still get some more action out of the yeast that is in there.

A Kolsch is not supposed to be lagered. It has a fermentation range of 55-70 degrees, but is definitely not a lager.

Actually, the term lagering refers to storing at near freezing temperatures for an extended period to smooth out the flavor profile and help with clarity. So, while Kolsch is definitely an ale, it is often lagered. I lager most of my lighter ales for several weeks.

The following is a quote from the Kolsch section of the BJCP Style Guidelines:
"Fermented at cool ale temperatures (59-65°F, although many Cologne brewers ferment at 70°F) and lager for at least a month."

A lagered ale does not become a lager though. Confusing, huh?

No, I get it. Lager yeast is what makes a lager. The traditional Kolsch beer style was not lagered though, as it is from a time before lagering was practiced.

I've never made a kolsch so I wasn't thinking about lagering it like that. I guess I will need to read up on it so I can make one.

Kölsch ales are delicious and refreshing. Crisp, light, and something you want to drink A LOT of. In the NW you can get Henry Weinhards Summer Ale which is a Kölsch style beer. I go through about a 12'er of this every week during the spring, summer... or at least until my Kölsch is ready to drink.
I also tried a real Kölsch this past Saturday - Sünner Kölsch. It is made in Colonge Germany. You could definitely taste the different water profile in that beer. The water is what makes it unique. It was kind of that minerally, sharpness like in a St Pauli or Becks.

Another decent one if you have it locally is Alaskan Brewing's Summer Ale.

I just went out yesterday and tasted a Harpoon Summertime and a Goose Island Summer kolsches. Both very good although I did notice the Harpoon was much clearer. Thanks again for all the help.

New Holland's Full Circle and Goose Island's Summertime are some pretty tasty Kolschs if you can get them.

I tried a Kolsch from Detroit Brewing Company and really liked it. Clean and light with a hint of sweetness. Very drinkable! Maybe my next summer beer recipe.

No, I get it. Lager yeast is what makes a lager. The traditional Kolsch beer style was not lagered though, as it is from a time before lagering was practiced.

I've never made a kolsch so I wasn't thinking about lagering it like that. I guess I will need to read up on it so I can make one.

Yea, you do technically lager a kolsch. Its considered a hybrid beer. An ale yeast fermented at closer to lager temps. Although I wouldn't go much lower than 63 for a kolsch yeast, you should lager it for a few weeks for it to turn out brillant and clean.

Koelsch was developed in the 20th century, and didn't really become what it is today until the 1960s. Koelsch is definitely an ale that is lagered.

Not that the BJCP is the be all end all, but...
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1c
Traditionally uses a step mash program, although good results can be obtained using a single rest at 149?F. Fermented at cool ale temperatures (59-65?F) and lagered for at least a month, although many Cologne brewers ferment at 70?F and lager for no more than two weeks.

And as others have pointed out, that is why it is a hybrid, like a steam or an alt.

Yea, you do technically lager a kolsch. Its considered a hybrid beer. An ale yeast fermented at closer to lager temps. Although I wouldn't go much lower than 63 for a kolsch yeast, you should lager it for a few weeks for it to turn out brillant and clean.

Not that the BJCP is the be all end all, but...
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 06

Quote:
Traditionally uses a step mash program, although good results can be obtained using a single rest at 149?F. Fermented at cool ale temperatures (59-65?F) and lagered for at least a month, although many Cologne brewers ferment at 70?F and lager for no more than two weeks.

And as others have pointed out, that is why it is a hybrid, like a steam or an alt.

I said this same thing a few months ago and got beat up for saying high 50's, low 60's, then lager.:(

Ed Wort's recipe says 65, so that's what it has to be.:rolleyes:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/brewing-kolsch-111252/

A kolsch is light and dry with a subtle pear and/or apple finish.

I said this same thing a few months ago and got beat up for saying high 50's, low 60's, then lager.:(

Henry,
You were done wrong, buddy.

Ironically, White Labs lists the ideal temp for their Kolsch yeast starting at a minimum of 65. They actually discourage any temp below 62, and my experience is it hits a brick wall at 62. I much prefer the Wyeast 2565.

I have my fermentor in a water tub that I'll keep around 60-62 during initial fermenting for about 4-5 days and ramp it up to 65 for another week or 2, then cold crash or keg and keep at 34 for a few weeks. Always comes out great! I mash 1.5qt/lb at 148-149 for 75 mins. and a 90 min boil. I use the WLP029 (slow to start)........never had any problems with temps between 65-68 either, I just try to make sure it is cool at the beginning of fementation.

Being new to brewing, I'm attempting to brew as many different types that I can. I'm drinking my Kolsch as of writing this and I am wondering if this is what a Kolsch supposed to taste like. The Kolsch I've bottled is flat. I don't think this is normal and may be due to me accidently freezing it during the cold crash.

At any rate, does anyone know of any Kolsches (or Kolsch replicas) on the market that would be a good example for me to taste.

Thanks!

Try Williams Brewing Co. Kolsch.

i'm brewing a kolsch and i just transferred it to secondary after 3 weeks at 60-63 degrees in my basement. when i tasted my hydometer sample, it was very bitter. way more bitter than i was thinking. (and way more than GI Summertime)

hopefully a couple weeks in the secondary in the low 60's and aging for bottling will take care of it.

thoughts? is it possible for beers to get less bitter? this is my 3 extract brew so I'm relatively new at this.

i'm brewing a kolsch and i just transferred it to secondary after 3 weeks at 60-63 degrees in my basement. when i tasted my hydometer sample, it was very bitter. way more bitter than i was thinking. (and way more than GI Summertime)

hopefully a couple weeks in the secondary in the low 60's and aging for bottling will take care of it.

thoughts? is it possible for beers to get less bitter? this is my 3 extract brew so I'm relatively new at this.

3 weeks is still very young for any beer...but definitely for a kolsch. I am brewing one now, and don't expect to drink until about 6-7 weeks. I'm thinking 2 week primary, 1 week secondary, then move secondary to fridge to "lager" for another 2-3 weeks. Then I'll keg, hit with co2 and start drinking maybe a week or so later.

Your beer will change a lot over the next 2-3 weeks, and the bitterness will definitely scale back some. Let me know how it turns out, since yours will be ready before mine, I'm kind of curious.

My Kolsch is just about ready, however I tried it at a young two weeks in the bottle. It's very crisp and smooth, with a slight aftertaste I can't quite put my finger on. I think I taste a slight alcohol twang to it at the end, but I could be wrong. I did overshoot my OG by about 7 points putting my Kolsch at about 6% alcohol which is pretty high for a Kolsch.

I brewed a kolsch last year, ended up calling it a Honey Blonde instead but it was very good. I like Mad Tree Lift and Lexington Brewings Kentucky Kolsch

Thanks for all the responses to this post. Very helpful. I'm located in Indianapolis and have a Trade Joe's nearby.

Go check out bier brewery at 65th and binford blvd. there kolsch is one of my favorite beers, and is to style. Try everything else on the tap list too!

Latest posts

Back