Can someone estimate an FG for this Oktoberfest recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an Oktoberfest Ale in primary (boil was on Sunday night). The recipe is below but did not include a target FG. Can anyone estimate it for me? The reason I ask is that I've never used this yeast strain before and the krausen has already fallen about 80% from peak and it was not a very hard fermentation. Since I begain noticing signs of fermentation only on Monday, it seems like I may have a stalled fermentation, although this may be charasteristic of this yeast. Fermentation temp (not ambient) is 68* which is at the high end for this strain, but I think the temp is fine.

Since I don't know the target FG, I can't determine whether its done. Don't worry, I'm not planning on botteling now. I plan to primary for 3 weeks but I am wondering if I shoud repitch.

3.3lb Amber LME
3.3lb Light LME
0.5lb Crystal 80L (or 60L if you can’t get 80L)
0.5lb Munich (8L)
0.5lb Pale Malt (standard 2-row)
0.25lb Chocolate Malt (350L)
1oz Liberty pellets -60min
1oz Liberty pellets -15min
0.5oz Liberty pellets -2min
2tsp Irish Moss
Yeast= WLP 036 - Dusseldorf Alt Yeast

Assuming a 5 gallon boil and all american specialty grains at 40% efficiency for steeping, you have a 1.054 estimated OG and at 65% to 72% attenuation that you can expect from the whitelabs website it would be 1.015 to 1.019 for estimated final gravity.

:tank:

Assuming a 5 gallon boil and all american specialty grains at 40% efficiency for steeping, you have a 1.054 estimated OG and at 65% to 72% attenuation that you can expect from the whitelabs website it would be 1.015 to 1.019 for estimated final gravity.

Excellent. Appreciate the help! I'll take a gravity reading in another day or two and see where its at.

Just pulled a sample...1.016. You were right on. I can't believe how fast this fermented out with no starter.

Thanks for your help. :mug:

No problem. You should let the yeasties clean up after themselves. Leave it in primary for at least another week.

Back