NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
Can I add can pumpkin pie mix to this brew? Will it make it any better or should I stick with the little bag of spices it came with? I know fresh pumpkin meat would be best, but I hear can pumpkin will still make a good beer.

Also, when do I add the pumpkin mix?

You can use canned pumpkin. I suggest spreading it out on a cookie sheet and baking it in the oven until it carmelizes. This really brings out the flavor of the pumpkin.
Im thinking about doing this same kit soon, and plan on adding a few cans of pumpkin.

I was getting ready to order this kit as well and add some canned pumpkin too it also.

I'd be very interested to hear what you guys end up doing and how it all turns out!

been doing canned pumpkin in meads for years. It works beautifully, especially in conjunction with pumpkin pie spices. I love the idea of baking it first. I'm going to have to try that soon.

Yes make sure you use pure pumpkin, like Libbys brand and not the pumpkin pie stuff.
You should use around 3=15oz cans of pumpkin and add it to your grain bag when you steep.
Spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F before adding to the grain bag.

I used fresh pumpkin when I used this kit, but I can't say I really noticed that it had much impact(I didn't let it caramelize like SevenFields suggested though). The spices had more of an impact in my beer, though it was less pumpkin pie spice than I was hoping for. Still, it turned out to be a great beer.

Baking the pumpkin for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F is the key!!!!
If you dont do this, you might as well skip the pumpkin all together and just use the spices, you would get the same end result.
Baking the pumpkin, brings out the flavors!

Hopefully, you won't have as much trouble finding Pumpkin as I did. I did find it at Albertson's. I checked 8 other grocery stores and no one was carrying it. One of the local stores mentioned something about a pumpkin shortage in California and that is why they did not carry it. Who knows...

There was a massive shortage of pumpkin the last 3 years because of rains in Ohio during the harvest and Libby cans for a couple different company banners. I know at FL we were told it might be tough to get any in again this year until just before Halloween, way too late for a batch to be ready even for Thanksgiving.
A connected question, as a big fan of pumpkin ales would the NB pumpkin kit be a decent brew to try as a first time brewer? Figure I need to get my act together soon to have everything ordered and done before fall is over.

For those of you that did this beer, was the 1 tspn of spice enough for your taste. Thanks in advance.

For those of you that did this beer, was the 1 tspn of spice enough for your taste. Thanks in advance.

This was my first brew and I made it exactly like the directions instructed (except the fermentation directions) and I thought it could use some more pumpkin spice. The pumpkin spice mostly impacted the smell of the beer so maybe add some more spice earlier in the boil.

That low amount of spice addition is a concern for me because a lot of the other recipes out there call for larger amounts and multiple additions. Thanks for the input.

I used an extra teaspoon of pumpkin spice and it was fine, but some people who had it didn't realize it was there until i told them it was in there. I've been meaning to do it again but haven't had the time. When I do, i'll probably use more and go off other recipes.

I'd also recommend another 1/2 to 1 tspn of spice (which I'll be doing next time I brew this). I found that while the spice aroma was there, the actual taste of it was more muted than I would have liked.

Aside from that, I added 5 lbs of canned pumpkin baked on a cookie sheet for 40 min at 350. Along with an extra 8oz of Caramel 40L, and 8oz of biscuit malt for the specialty steep.

Just bottled it this past week but the early results from my samples & the remaining couple of ounces post-bottling all show a beer that smells like pumpkin pie, has a creamy pumpkin taste with a hint of spice, and a finish that actually reminds me of pie crust. It's almost like having an actual liquid pumpkin pie that's just a bit underspiced.

I can't wait for it to carb up and see the true finished product.

So what would your spice addition times be for your next batch? Would you do them all at flame out or like 1/2 at 30 minutes and 1/2 at flame out?

I'd also recommend another 1/2 to 1 tspn of spice (which I'll be doing next time I brew this). I found that while the spice aroma was there, the actual taste of it was more muted than I would have liked.

Aside from that, I added 5 lbs of canned pumpkin baked on a cookie sheet for 40 min at 350. Along with an extra 8oz of Caramel 40L, and 8oz of biscuit malt for the specialty steep.

Just bottled it this past week but the early results from my samples & the remaining couple of ounces post-bottling all show a beer that smells like pumpkin pie, has a creamy pumpkin taste with a hint of spice, and a finish that actually reminds me of pie crust. It's almost like having an actual liquid pumpkin pie that's just a bit underspiced.

I can't wait for it to carb up and see the true finished product.

Do let us know how it turns out. And if it's as good as it sounds, would you mind sharing this recipe? :tank:

Uncle,

I believe the above poster is referring to Northern Brewers Smashing Pumpkin kit with some modifications.

Yep, it's the NB kit with those three variations. One thing to note, looking back at my notes, I actually used roughly 4.5 lbs of pumpkin (two 29oz cans + one 15oz can)

In the name of easy access:

-5 gallon batch-

1 lbs Briess DME - Pilsen (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 11.36 %
3 lbs 2.4 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 35.80 %
3 lbs 2.4 oz Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 35.80 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.36 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.3 IBU
1tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale #US-05

Additional info:
-Steep biscuit malt and Caramel 40L @ 155 degrees for 30 minutes.
-Spread pumpkin on cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes @350. Add to pot at beginning of boil.

I finally sampled the NB Smashing Pumpkin and followed the recipe with the exception of adding a little over a pound of organic brown sugar. I was surprised how much I could taste the spices on the back end. There was some slight aroma but I am pleased with the results the one teaspoon of spice added. I ended up baking 3# of pumpkin for 30 minutes at 350 and added that to the mash along with 1# of rice hulls. I had no problem with the lauter and the efficiency was around 85%. I plan to do this one again but need to do a better job on projecting the efficiency and or dilution that way I don't end up with such an elevated abv.

Latest posts

Back