carboy size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
Sooner or later I know I am going to do a batch of wine the wife wants me to and I would love to try it to. Anyways what are the size of carboys you need for the kit wines?
I have two BB's one 6 gal and one 5 gallon, along with one Ale Pale that is 6.5 gallons, are these large enough of do I need more room?
Does wine have a vigorous fermentation like beer and have to watch for blowoffs and such? Or will one of these work for primary on wine and the 5 gal for secondary?

thanks in advance

I used a 6 gallon glass carboy for my kit wine secondary, used a larger (maybe 8 gallon) fermentor bucket specifically for wine kits for the primary. I think you will be fine with the 6 gallon, but I guess it would depend on the kit...

Oh, and no, the fermentation is slow and smelly but not vigorous. You might get by with the 6.5 gallon container you have for primary and the 6 gallon BB for secondary. I didn't leave a large volume behind when I racked from primary to secondary, and there's air space at first, to leave room for degassing. After degassing you top up to minimize air space at top of carboy (and you "clarify" the wine for a couple of weeks, with airlock).
Good luck, don't delay, the wine kits are fun and easy (I mean cinchy simple gravy butter cakewalk easy, get SWMBO to help and it's fun to do together).

Back