First time kegging ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
I found this chart and I believe it is a 10 day cure time with PSI VS TEMP ,
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php .
Question ? It just seems that at 34deg-F and only 6-PSI to carb my stout proper ,,,, It just seems a little under :confused: I guess just believe in the system ?

(My kegerator runs at 36deg-F) Not my choice but that is what it dose , I guess cold beer is good on a hot day rite?

It's a 2 week (14 day) chart...

I would try to adjust the temperature of the kegorator to be closer to what you want the brew temperature to be. Put a thermometer strip on the side of the keg, so that you know what the brew temperature is.

You can also start at about 6psi, and increase it if you don't get the carbonation you like. IME, it's easier to increase the carbonation than decrease it.

copy I need to set a (In line power temp gage so should I bump up to 12 psi to cure in 1 week ? Can I
I LIKE MY BEER COLD I know there is recommended temps for the beer connoisseur with I am but i Sure do like it cold

If you're not sure what carb level you want, then I definitely agree about starting low and then increasing if you don't like it. As mentioned, it's much easier to up the carbonation a little than it is to degas an overcarbed keg.

The time it takes will depend on how much residual carbonation is left in the beer after fermentation and what carb level you're trying to reach. For a beer fermented cool and a desired carb level under 2 vol it might only take a week. For a belgian fermented warm and a desired carb level of 4 vol it might take 18 days. In general it takes 10 days to 2 weeks for most beers.

There are many methods for decreasing carbonation time, many of which involve increasing the pressure. Be careful trying these though, as it's very easy to overcarbonate this way, and degassing an overcarbed keg is a PITA. Most beers benefit from the cold conditioning anyway, so I suggest being patient and trying to set and forget method. On the rare occasions I want to rush the carbonation I use a carb stone. Before I got the carb stone, I would set the pressure for 30 psi for 30-36 hours, and then relieve the excess pressure and reset to serving pressure. After a couple days at serving pressure it was usually about right.

Good info its a great way to run all directions :fro:

QUESTION ? 1>

I want a medium carbonated low OG (.050)oatmeal stout ,,,In a carny 5 gal keg what should i set the psi to force carb and for how long ?? THX;)

copy I need to set a (In line power temp gage so should I bump up to 12 psi to cure in 1 week ? Can I
I LIKE MY BEER COLD I know there is recommended temps for the beer connoisseur with I am but i Sure do like it cold

I would use the "two week set and forget" method of carbonating. You simply put it at the psi needed to reach the CO2 volumes level you desire at the temperature you'll be serving it at. This also follows the KISS methodology (keep it simple sh*thead)...

I'm making English brews, which are typically served a bit warmer than most in the US... So 40F is on the cold end of the range for me. :D That being said, I find I REALLY like a brown ale, or porter, that's at a lower CO2 volume level.

Keep in mind, I don't think the chart is locked in stone. I would start at the PSI you think it needs, give it two weeks and pull a pint/glass. IF it's not where you want it to be, increase the pressure 1-2psi and give it another few days to a week and sample again.

I've only had to correct one overcarbonated keg so far. I just turned off the gas feed (at the manifold, and purged it 2-3 times a day for about 3 days. Then I turned the gas back on and gave it until the next evening to stabilize. Ended up dead on and great. Keg didn't last very long after that. :D

Good info its a great way to run all directions :fro:

QUESTION ? 1>

I want a medium carbonated low OG (.050)oatmeal stout ,,,In a carny 5 gal keg what should i set the psi to force carb and for how long ?? THX;)

IME, gravity level, and ABV%, have pretty much zero impact on carbonating with CO2 in a keg. Even residual CO2 in the batch has little impact. You're setting the psi in the keg.

Also, many of the carbonation tool sites also include how to use forced carbonation (2 week method, not rapid forced, since that's easy to get overcarbonated).

Lol ,,,I like = Ill calm down:ban:Two weeks at 7PSI at 36deg and ill be a happy man :mug::rockin:

We usually are... Especially when you can pull pints and not worry about cleaning/rinsing bottles... :rockin:

I have three taps in my brew fridge, which fits 4 kegs. So, one keg can be carbonating while the other three are on tap. I have enough in reserve so that when a keg kicks, I can move another in to get carbonated while the carbonated keg is shifted to a tap. :ban:

I also have two manifolds being fed by a dual body regulator. So I have two at one pressure (serving), another at a different pressure, and carbonate the odd keg at either pressure. :rockin:

Back