Help with a Pilsner Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirrp

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I attempted to brew my first Pilsner (extract) on Saturday. For some reason, I haven't seen any evidence of fermentation. It has been almost 48 hrs. My OG was 1.060. I used 7 lbs extra light DME, and 1 lb of Carafoam, and 1 lb of Carahell malt. My yeast was Wyeast 2206. The primary has been in my keezer since saturday at 52 degrees. The recommended fermentation temperature was 48-58 degrees. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lager yeasts take some time to get going when compared to ales. If you pitched enough yeast and if you made a starter and pitched at 70F to 80F then it does not take very long to start (a few hours). If pitched cold it should be going in less than 24 hours. Note that lager yeasts sometimes do not show a krausen like ale yeasts do in the first few hours as their action is going on in the bottom of the fermenter. If using a carboy you can see the action of small bits of yeast moving up and down inside. Relax, it will start soon. :)

Back