Caribou Slobber in a Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olz431

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm Joe, I'm new hear and i am already obsessed with homebrewing and this is my first real batch. I started with the Mr. Beer a few years ago. But dont worry I am not using it anymore! After a couple weekends of non stop brewery (and one distellry) tours here in Milwaukee, I figured if those knuckleheads at the brewery could make good beer, why couldn't I? Luckily there is a northen brewer store a few miles from home so I stopped in and picked up a kit. I chose tje Caribou Slobber as the free extract kit. I put it in the fermenter last evening after following the instructions religiously and used the supplied dry danstar yeast. Well this morning I had to put a blowoff hose on because the airlock wasnt able to keep up with releasing the pressure. The fermenting has gone wild.
I pitched the yeast at 67* and the fermenter is 69.5* now. It is 66/67 ambient. Is this normal/good/bad that I am having to use a blowoff hose so soon or at all? Also I let a small portion of the hops in the bottom kettle into the fermenter. The bits of hops are presesnt at the top of the krausen, was this a bad move?

Sounds like everything is going good man! Blowoff tube for the early vigorous fermentation, and wouldn't worry about hop particles in your krausen at all.

Your hops would have been through the boil and given up their goodness so losing some now is not a problem nor is a vigorous fermentation. I would prefer a little cooler (which gives a less vigorous ferment) but your temperature should yield good beer.

I was getting worried it was too hot so I cooled it down to 66. The violent fermentation slowed down either because of that, or time.

Latest posts

Back