American IPA Hops: Myrcene and Total Oil Content Chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
I found a homemade chart from SumnerH's #3 post in this old thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hop-substitution-venn-diagram-189041/

It referenced several different hops with their respective myrcene, humulene, and caryophellene levels.

I updated the chart with the hops that I use most, or have used in the past for American IPAs. It does not include every type of A-IPA hop but does reference quite a few.

Instead of comparing Caryophellene & Humulene (which are already at very low levels in most American IPA hops), I compared Total Oil Content. The Total Oil Content level has to do with the amount of residual hop lacing as well as the level of intensity of typical intoxicating IPA flavors and aromas.

I also included Myrcene levels, since I feel this is a significant flavor compound contributor for the American IPA style as it pertains to Late Aroma and Dryhop additions.

If you notice, the average data gathered from USA Hops http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=7 bunched certain "groups" of hops together... Some of which seem to be quite close to one another in terms of flavor, aroma, bittering potential, and typical usage in the boil -- e.g. Cascade and Ahtanum, Citra and Simcoe, Apollo and Summit. While Palisade, Amarillo, and Columbus are all by their lonesome. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

hopsd4fa.JPG

This is great! ive got an upcoming horizon/ahtanum ipa coming up, and was wondering if horizon had other good qualities besides clean bittering. Definitely gonna go with a mix of the two for late additions now... awesome chart! very helpful!

I think you'll like Horizon. I have an amber single hopped with a bunch of Horizon and it's delicious.

Nice chart, Bob. Thanks!

Before assembling it, I thought there would be a much stronger correlation with highest total oil content and highest myrcene levels, where the bulk of these hops ranging from 2.0 to 3.5 Total Oil and 55-70 Myrcene and therefore situated more to one side. If this was the case, I wanted all of those hops to be situated in the top left quadrant to cut down empty graph space. I guess it didn't matter too much in the end.

Huh. That still seems unintuitive to me.

On another note, Palisade really is a strange one. It's the only hop I know of in which the four main hop oils make up less than 50% of the total oils. Makes you wonder what else is in there.

Back