The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a good off-season use for my jersey...

timbersfermenter.jpg

Thinking real hard about going down to the charity match. Got to check with a buddy to see if he wants to go.

Seattle picked up some good scandinavian players this offseason. They will be strong at midfield again. Backline's improved, forward is a mystery right now. They took a gamble on Eddie Johnson, but a lot of the coaching staff has worked with him before and really wanted him. Goalkeeper still out. You really don't replace a Kasey Keller.

Found a good off-season use for my jersey...

timbersfermenter.jpg

Sexy! It should smell awesome come First Kick :D

As for myself, I found 2011 LA Galaxy jerseys at Ross for $20 each for SWMBO and me... and this was before they released the new 2012 home kit. I knew something was up when I could find such a good deal :rockin:

Thinking real hard about going down to the charity match. Got to check with a buddy to see if he wants to go.

Seattle picked up some good scandinavian players this offseason. They will be strong at midfield again. Backline's improved, forward is a mystery right now. They took a gamble on Eddie Johnson, but a lot of the coaching staff has worked with him before and really wanted him. Goalkeeper still out. You really don't replace a Kasey Keller.

Seriously, you can't replace Keller.

And sorry but your FO was retarded for getting rid of Neagle (and Fucito on top of that!) for Eddie Johnson. Bad deal...

I thought Neagle and Fucito were lost to the expansion draft, but could be wrong. I agree that it sucks to loose them.

mathin said:
I thought Neagle and Fucito were lost to the expansion draft, but could be wrong. I agree that it sucks to loose them.

Nah that was Pat Noonan to LA. And he's been looking pretty good for us ;)

WOO!!! Beckham to Magee volley... that's what's up!!!

Skip to 1:45 to see the beginning of the play. Go back a little bit further to see Rimandos amazing hands :D

Last edited by a moderator:
While both Fucito and Neagle were rising players, other players they picked up are showing much stronger. The Scandinavian guys will impress. Plus it looks like Zack will be back April or May. Seattle will be strong again.

Both Fucito and Neagle would have been reserves on this side this year. Maybe not in the 18 that suits up. This way, I have a reason to watch Montreal play as they have either 4 or 5 Sounders.

Seattle's on the tellie tomorrow night in their charity shield match. Keller will be up in the TV booth. I was thinking hard about going, but now I can sit in my in my house and drink my beer, not bud light for $7 a pint.

Gawd, I'm just glad things are starting up again.

Sounders won their charity shield match against a Mexican team 2-nil tonight. Freddy Montero had two nice goals. He actually looks as if he'll start the season fit this year. He looks to be in good shape. One of the swedes we picked up this year at right back, was really good on attack, great runs, assisted from the end line on the first goal.

The team looked very good for this early. Pretty fast and good touch on the ball. Should give LA a run for the best this year.

WOO!! Big day for US Soccer!

USWNT defeats Denmark Women 5-0

USMNT defeats Italy 1-0 (Dempsey goal from Altidore assist. They were calm and in control at the top of the 18 during the play... gorgeous)

US U-23's defeat Mexico 2-0

AWESOME!

Hey everybody! I've set up a Homebrew League in the new MLS Fantasy Manager.

Now this isn't a traditional draft league... that game will probably be released soon. But in this one you have the chance to win a bunch of MLS Gear as well as tickets to the 2013 All-Star match.

So here's what you do:

1) Go to http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/ and click on sign-up.

2) Make your team. You don't have to complete it now... you have unlimited transfers until March 10th

3) Go to "Leagues" and choose "Join League."

4) Select to join a Private League.

5) Choose one or both of the leagues I set up by entering the sign-up code in parenthesis:

a. Homebrew Classic (1117-499) -- The "Classic" style of game is where the table is ranked based on overall points accumulated by your players.

b. Homebrew H2H (1117-500) -- The "Head 2 Head" has your team playing another team in the league each fixture. The winner gets 3 points, draw gets 1.

So join up, do your research, and HAVE FUN!

Heh.

Last year's MLS fantasy site layout was bad. This year's is still bad, but they're also ripping it straight off of the EPL layout.

Yes they are. But I'd say it sucks less.

What I'm REALLY excited about is the new MLS Live service. I signed up for it the other day... sadly I can't browse around it yet but the most important thing is this:

NO MORE SILVERLIGHT! They're dumping that Microsoft crap and using Flash. So happy!

Also, come on guys! Only 7 days until the seasons starts! Let's get some more teams in the Homebrew leagues.

dwarven_stout said:
Man, Kris Boyd is going to be as much fun for me to watch this year as Robby Keane is for Reno_eNVy.

Most certainly! I feel like Boyd is Keane's Scottish counter-part.

Also Boyd is definitely in my fantasy team.

Most certainly! I feel like Boyd is Keane's Scottish counter-part.

Also Boyd is definitely in my fantasy team.

You'd be a fool not to take fantasy Boyd, considering how inflated a lot of the prices are in that game. Comparable target men are 10.5+

Man, Kris Boyd is going to be as much fun for me to watch this year as Robby Keane is for Reno_eNVy.

I think the first time he touched the ball in a game for the Timbers he scored.
Just saw in the paper it was at the 7min mark, way to make an impact with your new squad. :rockin:

I signed up for both leagues.

Picking my team was a bit of a struggle as my funds got low and I stopped recognizing player names....

HA! Yeah once you hit $6m or lower you hit a lot of Draftees.

Doing a google search for "<player name> MLS" yields all kinds of information. I used the MLSsoccer.com player search a lot, too. Let me know total playing time, goals, assists, fouls, etc.

Jebus!! And those American soccer haters say nothing happens in footy!! My UK team just won a game they deserved to lose. They didn't play well, but got a goal, and hung on for most of the game by virtue of a totally amazing game by our keeper. It was all those potential goals against us that were saved (So nothing happened) that made it one hell of a spectacle!!

When will the "Nothing happens in soccer" people ever learn!!?? It was only 1-0, but crikey, WHAT a 1-0!!

Reno_eNVy said:
HA! Yeah once you hit $6m or lower you hit a lot of Draftees.

Doing a google search for "<player name> MLS" yields all kinds of information. I used the MLSsoccer.com player search a lot, too. Let me know total playing time, goals, assists, fouls, etc.

Yea I spent a couple hours digging around and finally got a team I'm happy with. So long as I don't hit an injury crisis early on I should be alright.

Jebus!! And those American soccer haters say nothing happens in footy!! My UK team just won a game they deserved to lose. They didn't play well, but got a goal, and hung on for most of the game by virtue of a totally amazing game by our keeper. It was all those potential goals against us that were saved (So nothing happened) that made it one hell of a spectacle!!

When will the "Nothing happens in soccer" people ever learn!!?? It was only 1-0, but crikey, WHAT a 1-0!!

Seriously, I feel the same way. And I have a deep appreciation for quality keeper work having played the position for a long time.

It's those intangibles like that that don't show up on the scoreline. 0-0 might look boring on a score sheet but if it was a game full of blinding saves and last ditch tackles then it's anything but boring. A lot of yanks are fixated on score being the be all end all of game quality.

Exactly. I think it's because "American" sports are designed to have stats that are easily trackable whereas, as you said, soccer has too many intangibles and matches need to be appreciated on the whole. But of course there's the supporters. Portland, Seattle, LA, Vancouver, KC, Toronto... all of their home matches are so much fun to watch simply due to the passionate fans. It really sets soccer apart from the rest of the sporting world.

I'm also incredibly excited for Montreal's first home match. I want to see how their crowd stacks up.

Love soccer, love beer, and now love home brewing! From Minnesota. Big barca fan. Struggling to enjoy the mls, but there is no "home team" for MN, though the big teams (galaxy, red bulls, siunders) do interest me. Love the connection between home brewers and soccer!,

FlyDoctor, do you not support the Minnesota Stars? D2 ain't that bad, you know!

Also, fun fact to all those playing the fantasy game: drag one of your forwards to midfield position and a midfielder to defensive position. BAM, you're running a 3-4-3, more points!

We're just a few days away from the glory that is the 2012 Columbus Crew being unleashed upon the rest of MLS.

Reno_eNVy said:
FlyDoctor, do you not support the Minnesota Stars? D2 ain't that bad, you know!

Also, fun fact to all those playing the fantasy game: drag one of your forwards to midfield position and a midfielder to defensive position. BAM, you're running a 3-4-3, more points!

I do, and they did a great job this past season (I want to brew up the NB shining star ale soon!) I find it tough to follow bough as its not televised (as far as i know) and it's a bit far to go to the home games (almost 2 hours). Nonetheless, I support them and follow online.

Hey guys with First Kick coming in 2 days I'm looking to get just a couple more people in the Homebrew fantasy leagues.

Also, if you want to see how you compare to the guys at MLSsoccer.com, join the ExtraTime private league with the code "135-322"

Reno_eNVy said:
Hey guys with First Kick coming in 2 days I'm looking to get just a couple more people in the Homebrew fantasy leagues.

Also, if you want to see how you compare to the guys at MLSsoccer.com, join the ExtraTime private league with the code "135-322"

How does one do this? I've never done a fantasy league (in any sport!) so need some dirwctoon

Here ya go. I posted this a bit ago:

Hey everybody! I've set up a Homebrew League in the new MLS Fantasy Manager.

Now this isn't a traditional draft league... that game will probably be released soon. But in this one you have the chance to win a bunch of MLS Gear as well as tickets to the 2013 All-Star match.

So here's what you do:

1) Go to http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/ and click on sign-up.

2) Make your team. You don't have to complete it now... you have unlimited transfers until March 10th

3) Go to "Leagues" and choose "Join League."

4) Select to join a Private League.

5) Choose one or both of the leagues I set up by entering the sign-up code in parenthesis:

a. Homebrew Classic (1117-499) -- The "Classic" style of game is where the table is ranked based on overall points accumulated by your players.

b. Homebrew H2H (1117-500) -- The "Head 2 Head" has your team playing another team in the league each fixture. The winner gets 3 points, draw gets 1.

So join up, do your research, and HAVE FUN!

HOLY CRAP, MOFOS!!! Season 17 starts in 6 hours!!! HOT PISS!

Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, Omigod, BYAAAAAAAAY!!!

Well poop.. but my two montreal players didn't start... crap. At least I got the Ginga Ninja.

Latest posts

Back