Failed Blonde / Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadaverous

Reaction score
I didn't brew for about a year and then did a batch of a rye blonde. I tweaked the recipe a bit, and then got better efficiency than I counted on and ended up with a bigger beer that was closer to a pale ale.

The problem is that it has come out quite sweet, and the hop profile is very muted. Is the sweetness masking the hops?

I'm pretty sure it is because I wayyyy overshot my mash temperature and ended up mashing at about 162 for the whole hour. I should have dumped some cold water in, I know. It had been a while since I brewed and the brewing center of my brain wasn't firing the way it should have been.

The big question is: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to salvage this damn thing? Might aggressively dry hopping it help? :confused:

I had a similar problem with a beer. It was kegged, so I poured half a gallon into a pot, added half a gallon of water, and boiled on my stove with another 1/4 ounces of hops. I haven't tried it after carbonating again, but the cold, flat sample was much improved.

Pappers_ said:
Brew another batch and blend. The second batch could be dry or hoppy or whatever you want.

I have done the same thing. I didn't blend in the keg, I blended at serving.

Back