where to get blackstrap molasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ton

Reaction score
I've done some online digging and digging through the forums, and the best i can come up with is some online specialty stores ive never heard of. Anyone ever found it at a store like whole foods, world market, sunflower market, trader joes, etc.?

Blackstrap Mollases can be found in the baking aisle of any grocery store in the us...if not in the baking aisle, next to the caro syrup, then next to the pancake syrup...it's a pretty ubiquitous cooking ingredient.

No matter what the brand, most of them share a distinctive bottle style.

This is the most common in Michigan.

Brer%20Rabbit%20Blackstrap%20Molasses.jpg

Though some come in jars.

It's not a gourmet item...you can even find it in Walmart.

Third'd Both dark molasses and blackstrap are available in all the grocery stores around me in the baking section.

It took me forever to find it sitting right next to the maple syrup at walmart. I expected it would be in the baking aisle. My loving wife told me how stupid I was and that molasses was always by the pancakes. :D Guess I'd never had it on MY pancakes growing up. She did buy me my first brewing kit, so she must love me.

Blackstrap is very different from just a dark molasses..far more of a bite. You might want to assure that you get the unsulphered. Used to be, it was reserved for sweetening animal feeds, but many love the distinct twang offered by blackstrap and sorghum...especially on southern style biscuits with plenty of butter. Either are far more powerful than treacle or simple dark molasses.

Well, I wasn't able to find this in ANY grocery stores in my area. (I visited 4 different ones in West-suburban Chicago). They only had normal and light molasses...

SO..in case someone was cruising the forums wondering what to do in case they are in the same situation as I was...I was able to find some blackstrap molasses at a little Mexican bakery (Bakery Gigante). I had to get a translator, and do some convincing, but the guy gave me 3 lbs of it (way more than I needed) for like $3.

:)

Just thought I'd put that out there! Bakeries should carry it.

What would be the "typical" amount of blackstrap used? I would think you would use less if it is sweeter than sugar. I want to use some in a gluten free stout recipe I'm doing this weekend and am not sure how much to use.

I have used molasses in a few brews now.

If you are using just a couple ounces in secondary for flavor rounding, like in a Kotbusser, the grocery store stuff is fine, just pasteurize like you are making a mead with honey, 40 minutes at 140°F is great.

If you are using it as a chunk of your mash bill, like a Caribbean style export stout, go with a 90 minute boil and boil it hard while you are waiting to add your (60) hops. That extra 30 minutes of boiling cuts 2-4 months off "age until mellow."

Besides the previously mentioned, you can often find 82 Brix molasses in 28 pound jugs in the cattle feed section at your local farm and garden. Also outdoor outfitters like Cabellas during spring bear season, at least in states where it is legal to hunt black bears over bait.

Anyway, my house pale is about dialed in and I have been playing with a Carib style export stout for my second tap. Nutmeg and black pepper are keepers, don't bother using gunpowder in your pirate stout, tomorrow's headache won't be worth the amazing headrush.

If you must, sprinkle a little magnum pistol powder (like Hodgdon H-110) in some rum punch. You won't do it again, I promise.

You can get blackstrap molasses at wal mart
Or tractor Supply Store, also Ebay
Tractor Supp is the cheapest I have found at around $9.00 a Gal.
It is great for removing rust from metal parts

Back