Fermentation Stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCE

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in need of another Fermentation Stopper for my airlock...
The LHBS is an hour away but the hardware store has some drilled cork stoppers and I was wondering if they would work or would I have problems with air getting in and oxidization during long secondary fermentations?
They also carry black stoppers I could drill my self but I worry about the black rubber not being food grade and getting a rubber taste from it.

Any Ideas?

Thank You

I would go with the black rubber for a couple weeks pending your next trip to the LHBS. Just leave some air space between the rubber and the beer. Might run it through the dishwasher once to cut the worst of the stink off it.

You can get away with tin foil in the meantime.

Thanks Poindexter,
I think I will hold off until I can get to the HBS. Might be awhile but I think I will feel better with a proper stopper.
If the worst gets the better of me I'll grab the black rubber stopper and do as suggested.

I Appreciate the help

Put some plastic wrap (sanitized) over the opening of the carboy and secure it with rubber bands. Make a pinhole and push your airlock through carefully. That should get you by until you get to your LHBS. I'd worry about using rubber stoppers that might not be food grade and could flavor your beer.

Or as Poindexter said, just put some sanitized foil over it for now. That'll let excess CO2 out but keep anything from floating in. Contaminants aren't going to crawl under the foil and up into your carboy.

Tin foil is perfectly fine for primary ferment, in fact I don't use air locks anymore. Blow off tube (1.25" OD tubing) into a container of sanitizer is also a form of an airlock.

The only thing I use airlocks for is secondary storage.

Back