Summer beer semi quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delsmore

Reaction score
Soooooo.....:drunk:
First time poster.....short time brewer. From st. Paul or the Twin Cities, MN(home of Summit and Surley) just would like some quick criticism.

This will be the third batch i will be brewing, second recipe i will be creating (still haven't fully tried the second), anyway I'm aiming for a good summer beer and somehow I came to the conclusion of a lemon ginger wheat. So out of the recipes I've seen for a lemon beer, a ginger beer and summer beer I think i may be on to something:
9.15 LME wheat (northern brewer)
1 oz. hallertau hops (3.8%) @ 60min
#3944 belgn wit wyeast yeast (startered 2 days before)
about 3 oz ginger and 2 lemons worth of zest & 1 tsp of Irish moss@ 15 min
about 3 oz. ginger and 2 lemons worth of zest @ 5 min
about 3 oz ginger and 2 lemons worth of zest at flame out ( plus all 6 of the lemons juice)

no secondary, in the primary for 3 weeks and bottled for 2....(and a half?)

I'm planing on starting this on Tuesday(5/04) as i need a good summer beer by June 11th/12th(this is our date of "family camping" which involves all of my bros {i've got 3 of them}, my 2 sisters{under age [so they don't count]} and mother; plus all of our good friends. So, basically I want a good semi strong summer batch (this one should equal out to about 7%) that the 5 gallons should last for 2 (maybe one) day{s} and be able to show off my new found brewerness.

Any questions, comments/concerns would be more than welcome

9 ounces of ginger seems like a LOT of ginger to me. I've never made a ginger beer, so maybe it's ok, but I make ginger ale and use ginger in cooking. Even a tablespoon of ginger is really strong, More than 1/2 pound seems wild!

Agree with Yooper....Way too much ginger. I've brewed with is before and if I recall correctly I only used 1tsp and it def. was evident in the final product.

It probably is too much ginger. I think I'll step it down to 3 or 4 oz. I'm attempting to use other recipes to gauge how much I need and I must of misread one of them.

reads like too much ginger.... have you thought about sweat orange peel instead?

3 weeks primary is pretty long for an ale in this %. check you gravity and bottle once its ready --> gives you more time to carbonate and condition in the bottle.

In general, brewing beer on a schedule to hit a specific date IS stress.

RDHAHB!

I have thought about the orange peel, but the only problem is my g/f hates orange and then wouldn't drink it.
So check the gravity every couple days after krausen subsides? and what gravity should it be at before I bottle

Back