First Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonj55

Reaction score
Gonna brew my first wheat tomorrow for an outing at the end January. My first two attempts (IPA & Red Ale) turned out well, but I just wanted to post and see if anyone had any words of wisdom.

I'm not quite ready for making custom recipes as of yet so I have been using Brewers Best kits. The only thing that will be different on this attempt is that I will boil tomorrow and have to leave town a few days later. I'll be back and ready to bottle on 1/2/10, so the beer will be in the primary for two weeks or so as opposed to one like the IPA and Red. I have yet to use a secondary.

From what I understand, this shouldn't be an issue and may even be optimal.

Thanks guys,

2 weeks is, IMHO, the perfect amount of time for most beers in primary (given decent conditions), so you'll be golden there. what kind of yeast are you using for the wheat?

@ Android
The yeast packet that came w/ the kit is Danstar MUNICH. The yeast packet directions say to suspend it in warm water and add that way, but the directions in the Brewers Best box say to sprinkle it on the wort.

In the past I have just sprinkled the yeast on the wort and have had airlock activity w/ 12 hours.

My fermentation temp is a constant 70*

you be fine, 2 weeks in primary is not a problem, after you get back it might be done fermenting and ready for keging or bottling!

with windsor its been said to not give the banana and clove flavors as much as say a true hefeweizen yeast would.

But if you are just going for an american wheat ale, that'll do.

Latest posts

Back