First Brew 1 week later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I couldn't resist. I'm home unsupervised and supposed to be cleaning for company but the Ale Pale kept calling to me to look inside....look inside

I was powerless.

I took a sanitized ladle and hydrometer and popped the top.

The beer looked good

and smelled good

until I dipped my head to low and got to much co2 up my nose :)

I took a reading of 1.011 @ 65 . Exactly what beertools pro told me to expect.

I did not dump the beer back

What to do with all that wasted beer.....

So I took a taste

It was clean and clearly beer if uncarbonted. and now I understand what green beer is. The beer tastes ok it's just unfinished. It tastes a little to light, a little to undefined like I can still taste water, like weak Kool-aid.

So I popped the lid back on and won't touch it till saturday which will be 2.5 weeks in the primary.

Well, if she left you unsupervised she should expect that sort of thing.

NEVER dump the beer back. It's not worth it. You did the right thing. If you sample at various stages you'll get a better understanding of the process and damn it, it's a great thing to do.

Taking a peek isn't against the rules, just need to be sanitary about it when you do :) Congrats on the first brew!

Good instincts to not pour back! Yup, I think many of us have made the same mistake and gotten too close to the lip and taken a wiff... Oooops!

It's all good and you just have to learn the way you learn... Doing is the best way!

Congrats on the first brew! My first was only a year ago and this is the best thing I have ever learned to do! And I've learned how to do a lot of fun things, from Ski jumping to flying to sailing to racing... and as for return on investment this is by far the most fun/dollar spent ever!!!

Latest posts

Back