Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnsnownw said:
My changes were as such:

1lbs Extra Dark DME
.5lbs Black Patent
.5lbs Chocolate Malt
1lb flaked oats
4 Tbs Vanilla Extract

Had a lot of chocolate and vanilla notes. I'm not sure the flaked oats added much, I was doing it for mouth feel, but I have no comparison.

I'm assuming the extra darkness DME replaced the dark DME and the chocolate malt and flaked oats were added and everything else was kept the same?

I'm assuming the extra darkness DME replaced the dark DME and the chocolate malt and flaked oats were added and everything else was kept the same?

1. Yes the Extra-Dark replaced the Dark DME
2. I lessened the amount of Black Patent
3. Increased Chocolate Malt
4. Added flaked oats
5. Nearly doubled the amount of vanilla.

Other than that I didn't change anything else.

johnsnownw said:
1. Yes the Extra-Dark replaced the Dark DME
2. I lessened the amount of Black Patent
3. Increased Chocolate Malt
4. Added flaked oats
5. Nearly doubled the amount of vanilla.

Other than that I didn't change anything else.

Alright thank you :) I'll be attempting it soon.

I've been searching the forum and I can't find any guides or pros and cons to vanilla beans. I have read they are much better than extract, but can any one give me a short guide to different alcohol to soak them in and how to cut them? I just ordered a bunch so I would appreciate it! Using them for this beer.

SheriffWhiteChocolate said:
I've been searching the forum and I can't find any guides or pros and cons to vanilla beans. I have read they are much better than extract, but can any one give me a short guide to different alcohol to soak them in and how to cut them? I just ordered a bunch so I would appreciate it! Using them for this beer.

Split the beans length wise, scrape all the goodness out, add the bean and scrapings to the secondary. I brewed this beer last winter, during primary I soaked a good handful of oak chips in Jim beam along with the four vanilla beans in a mason jar, when primary was through I dumped the ENTIRE contents of the mason jar into the secondary fermenter. The amount if whiskey I used was enough to cover the wood chips. When I brew this beer again I will add more vanilla beans, probably 6-8 for a 5 gal batch. I too have read that whole beans give a much better flavor then extract, can't say for sure though as I've not tried extract.

Normal. Specifically, Nielsen-Massey Organic Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla.

That's what I used. First time I made it, the vanilla flavor faded within a couple of weeks, so the next time I used a full quarter cup. Flavor still faded after a couple of weeks. So next time, I'm going with the whole beans.

That's what I used. First time I made it, the vanilla flavor faded within a couple of weeks, so the next time I used a full quarter cup. Flavor still faded after a couple of weeks. So next time, I'm going with the whole beans.

The last time I cracked one open, 4 weeks ago, the vanilla flavor was quite a bit stronger. This would have been at approx. 5 months since bottling.

After bottle conditioning for 5 weeks, it has spent the rest of the time in the fridge.

I'm having trouble with my gravity. It started at 1.052. When I checked on it, there was no foam on top like there should be. And the gravity dropped to 1.03. Any ideas?

How long has it been fermenting, and at what temp?

Also, this yeast is known to fast ferment and to quickly drop krausen.

johnsnownw said:
How long has it been fermenting, and at what temp?

Also, this yeast is known to fast ferment and to quickly drop krausen.

It's been in the primary for 8 days. And it's in a closet with an air vent the entire time. So room temp really.

Well, it's clearly fermenting. My advice would be to check it again tomorrow, if the reading is the same, I'd think you have a stuck ferm...and would advise pitching another vial.

I'm sure it's fine...

image-3866013025.jpg
Got it in secondary right meow

It was done with active fermentation so I racked it over.

In the future I would recommend not doing that. The yeast clean up after themselves, which can take care of any off-flavors that may have been created during primary. This is especially a concern if you don't have a ferm chamber, as during active fermentation the wort temperature can raise as much as 8-10° warmer than ambient.

Just a suggestion though.

johnsnownw said:
In the future I would recommend not doing that. The yeast clean up after themselves, which can take care of any off-flavors that may have been created during primary. This is especially a concern if you don't have a ferm chamber, as during active fermentation the wort temperature can raise as much as 8-10° warmer than ambient.

Not exactly sure if I understand. If there was no yeast activity why would I want to keep it in the primary?

Not exactly sure if I understand. If there was no yeast activity why would I want to keep it in the primary?

There is yeast "activity" all the time...even if that isn't reflected in your samples. Also, at 1.030 the yeast were most likely still eating sugar, albeit slower than I would expect. Pitching another vial into primary, if the yeast were indeed going dormant for whatever reason, would have quickened the process of fermenting, and clean-up.

You do not want to bottle that beer anywhere near 1.030.

I'm sure it will be fine, but most brewers would leave the beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, regardless of the gravity readings.

I used to rack to secondary after a week or after the krausen fell, as well, but my beer has improved quite a bit since leaving it for at least 2 weeks in primary.

Here's a good read, note that the 1st commenter is wrong:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/primary-only-vs-secondary-effect-yeast-clean-up-396266/

johnsnownw said:
There is yeast "activity" all the time...even if that isn't reflected in your samples. Also, at 1.030 the yeast were most likely still eating sugar, albeit slower than I would expect. Pitching another vial into primary, if the yeast were indeed going dormant for whatever reason, would have quickened the process of fermenting, and clean-up.

You do not want to bottle that beer anywhere near 1.030.

I'm sure it will be fine, but most brewers would leave the beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, regardless of the gravity readings.

I used to rack to secondary after a week or after the krausen fell, as well, but my beer has improved quite a bit since leaving it for at least 2 weeks in primary.

Here's a good read, note that the 1st commenter is wrong:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/primary-only-vs-secondary-effect-yeast-clean-up-396266/

Well it was in there for 10 days. Maybe I should've been more patient. I checked the gravity and it had dropped to 1.022. So we shall see how it turns out

Well it was in there for 10 days. Maybe I should've been more patient. I checked the gravity and it had dropped to 1.022. So we shall see how it turns out

It will turn out just fine, and unless you did a side-by-side comparison to one that you let sit a little longer...you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

I was just giving suggestions for future brews.

What did you decide to use for your vanilla addition?

johnsnownw said:
It will turn out just fine, and unless you did a side-by-side comparison to one that you let sit a little longer...you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

I was just giving suggestions for future brews.

What did you decide to use for your vanilla addition?

I used 5 vanilla beans soaked in JD for a couple days. The vanilla beans came from a Mexican company called Orlando. My family has always used their extract so I assumed there beans will be great quality.

I used 5 vanilla beans soaked in JD for a couple days. The vanilla beans came from a Mexican company called Orlando. My family has always used their extract so I assumed there beans will be great quality.

There's been some discussion on whether Mexican vanilla beans or Madagascar are better.

Be sure to update in a few weeks!

I've used both and in my opinion the Madagascar have a much better flavor! If you can get good quality Madagascar beans, spend an extra couple bucks and get 'em.

Guidry said:
I've used both and in my opinion the Madagascar have a much better flavor! If you can get good quality Madagascar beans, spend an extra couple bucks and get 'em.

Where do you get the Madagascar?

We happen to have a nice little specialty spice store here in Baton Rouge that sells them individually. Very high quality stuff there that is always fresh. Price usually varies between $2-3.50 per bean.

Penzy spices, which offer mail order spices, carries both Madagascar and Mexican beans, their description of the Mexican beans describes them as having a more chocolate flavor. When I brewed this beer I added 6 beans that I got from my local home brew store, next time I brew this beer I want to add 10 to 12 beens as I feel there should be vanilla flavor

Guidry said:
12-16 beans? How many gallons? Holy crap! Cant imagine that much vanilla.... 3 was plenty in 5 gallons.

I put 6 split beans in a five gallon batch, I taste the vanilla but I want more.

Bottled this a couple of nights ago after:

Primary: 11 days
Secondary (with 3 vanilla beans in 8oz of Jack Daniel's): 5 Weeks

Bottled with 5oz corn sugar.

The tasting I did when bottling was great, very little vanilla, but that should come forward in the bottle.
Planning on letting them sit for at lease a month before trying.

johnsnownw said:

Another question, can I leave it in the secondary a little longer and the yeast can clean up then?

Yes...though I don't know how long is necessary. I'd say if you want to leave it in secondary for a total of 14 days instead of 7, you'd do yourself a great favor.

The last time I cracked one open, 4 weeks ago, the vanilla flavor was quite a bit stronger. This would have been at approx. 5 months since bottling.

After bottle conditioning for 5 weeks, it has spent the rest of the time in the fridge.

Maybe that's my problem -- I can't make a batch last five months!

Has anyone recently updated the all grain recipe for this? Wanna get this one going for the fall...

Without scrolling back thru all the pages, is there a need to update it? Seems the original recipe worked real nice. I've always been happy with it using actual beans and extract.

I went and looked at the whole thread and can't find anyone who posted how the all grain version turned out. Seemed to be two or three individuals that did all grain, using two different grain bills, but no final thoughts.

None More Black Vanilla Stout

Style: American Stout OG: 1.054
Type: All Grain FG: 1.011
Rating: 3.5 ABV: 5.63 %
Calories: 175 IBU's: 31.42
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 7.50 Gal
Color: 35.0 SRM Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.042 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 10 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 7 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.00 lbs 22.64 % Barley, Flaked 60 mins 1.032
9.00 lbs 67.92 % Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
0.75 lbs 5.66 % Black (Patent) Malt 60 mins 1.025
0.50 lbs 3.77 % Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.025

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 23.72 Cluster 60 mins 7.00
0.75 ozs 7.70 Goldings, East Kent 20 mins 5.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
3.00 each Vanilla Bean 14 days Secondary

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion In 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 17.22 qt ( 1.30 qt/lb ) water @ 166.6°F
Sparge 21.47 qt of 160.0°F water over 15 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
6.7 psi Force Carbonation 35.0°F 2.20

Notes
Vanilla beans split open and soaked in about 1c Jack Daniels for 2 days before adding with beer to secondary

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.834

That's my all-grain recipe. Pretty solid every time.

Chris Guidry

Back