How To Sanitize Wooden Fruit Press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased an antique wooden fruit press that was sitting in a garage for many years. It is all dusty and dirty. I would like to know the best way to clean and sanitize the wood that will come into contact with my fruit. I plan to get a stainless steel liner to collect the juice for ease of cleaning in the future so I am mostly concerned about the wooden mechanism that holds the fruit being pressed. I have heard that a soapy wash and a pure vinegar wipe down will due the trick. What do you think?

Won't you be using K-Meta in your juice anyhow? I'm not sure those things are meant to be sanitized. If you just want to clean it off, my choice would be distilled vinegar (w/water). Kills a surprising number of baddies, and very safe. My wife has been using it as her go-to cleaner for years now.

Here is what I have been doing for the past 25 years. When I clean my carboys with K/meta I pour it out over the press and all of its parts...never had a problem....

Latest posts

Back