Molasses question from a NOOB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I am going to add molasses to my wort for a nut brown ale recipe. I was thinking like 10-15 minutes left in the boil... is that right??? Or should I just add it with the malt extract.

You should add it in with your extract (or at least most of it), at the last 10-15 minutes of your boil.

You don't want the molasses to get overcarmalized, and doing late additions with your extract will result in a greater hop utilization and less carmelization of your malt. You want color to come from steeping grains, not overdone extract.

ilikestuff said:
You should add it in with your extract (or at least most of it), at the last 10-15 minutes of your boil.

You don't want the molasses to get overcarmalized, and doing late additions with your extract will result in a greater hop utilization and less carmelization of your malt. You want color to come from steeping grains, not overdone extract.

So I should wait to add the extract at the final 10-15 mins of my boil?? I thought the extract needed to boil for an hour. I am using a gold LME from Northern Brewer.

I'm steeping the grains right now so it would really help to get this clarified quickly. Thanks.

If you have a recipe, follow it. It's a little late to be adjusting. I just add molasses at the start and stir well.

Back