Group buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkorn74

Reaction score
I read a lot about these on the forums, but I'm not sure if I understand them. I order 50 pound bags of base for around $35 and then pay $20 for shipping. When someone is doing a group buy, are you ordering online or from a home brew store? If ordering, how much do you have to order to get a break on the shipping?

You would order from a distributor and the minimum order is one pallet, which I believe is 42 sacks.

bja said:
You would order from a distributor and the minimum order is one pallet, which I believe is 42 sacks.

How much is it for an average pallet of base malt?

How much is it for an average pallet of base malt?

Pricing is constantly changing and shipping varies by location, but on average maybe $35/sack, so $1470 total.

You also need an account with the distributor which requires you to also own a business which has the proper tax exempt certifications.

I can get a 50lb bag of 2-row from my LHBS for $40. Have you asked your LHBS if you have one?

Have yet to stop into the local store due to work schedule but hopefully I can in the near future.

If you are participating in a group buy, the orders are taken, price for each malt will vary some. The shipping is divided up amongst all the buyers so you will not be paying normal shipping charges. The pallet is delivered to a site selected by the people running the buy. You then get notified of the delivery day. They sort out all the grains, you pay up and take your order. Often saving up to 50% of more.

Haven't been in on one yet but I plan to if I can figure a way to arrange my schedule to get my order.

Back