Threads broke on pump head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pola0502ds

Reaction score
I have your standard march pump 1/25 HP, i was pumping fittings onto the inlet and outlet, put to much pressure on the outlet threads and snapped the whole threaded portion right off. I was soo pissed when this happened. I am out a pump and a fitting because what snapped off the pump is now in the fitting.

Has this happened to anyone? What did you do? I wonder if they made a food grade epoxy or glue that i can use. What i really want to know is if they sell just the face of the pumphead that is removeable. Does anyone know this? I dont want to wait until monday to find out. If i know they sell replacement parts i can enjoy the rest of my weekend.

On NPT fittings, can anyone give me advice on fitting them? How tight do they really need to be? If i would have known this maybe it wouldn't have now happened.

I dropped mine and broke it. I temporarily attached a fitting using JB weld, but ended up buying a Chugger head to replace it. I would look into that instead of another plastic head.

Dave

find a screwdriver that fits in the broken nipple a little, them heat the end of the screwdriver till its red hot, push in the broken nipple till it sinks to the widest part of the screwdriver blade and let it cool.
after it cools gently heat the stainless fitting put it a Mr vise, or hold it with whatever you have and give the screwdriver a twist
or if you are going to throw it ,,, throw it my way, I'll pay postage
pete

I broke mine over tightening it too. I used medium viscosity CA glue and it's held withtwo brews on it.

I ended up JB welding it on. My concern is the the JB weld will produce off flavors. I have a email into JB weld to see if this is the case. I will let you know what they say.

I also talked to chugger pump and I there heads are now 50 bucks a piece.

JB will not claim food grade. It's too much liability. Note for others, with a little teflon tape on the threads, you can get a fitting to seal to the March pump with a 1/4 turn past hand tight. Please don't get out the 16" pipe wrench.

Just so everyone knows, I used JB weld and have been testing it for a couple weeks now and it works perfect!

Back