Protecting the electric element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,

I am seeing some rust at the base of my HLT electrical element. I don't keep water in the tank. Only when I brew I keep water in it and usually that lasts 4-5 hours.

I understand that if I install a galvanic anode(preferable magnesium) but I don't want to drill the keg, can I put it at the bottom of the keg ? I don't see why.

Also can I use starsan to cure the base after I clean the run of the base of the element ?

Lastly just a silly question, can use oil to coat the base then turn the element on for 5 seconds (not submersed) the idea being that the oil will burn leaving behind a carbon layer process used on cast iron pots.

:tank:

Some put a thin layer of food-grade, heat resistant silicone sealant on the element base to protect it.

jeffmeh said:
Some put a thin layer of food-grade, heat resistant silicone sealant on the element base to protect it.

+1 this is what I did as well. I had to replace my element after only 3 batches and used the silicone and have over a dozen batches on it now with no issues.

everty2007 said:
+1 this is what I did as well. I had to replace my element after only 3 batches and used the silicone and have over a dozen batches on it now with no issues.

Same here ... After running a boil test with just water I noticed a little rust the next day. I cleaned it up and put on some heat resistant food safe silicon on the base and haven't seen an issue since.

Same here ... After running a boil test with just water I noticed a little rust the next day. I cleaned it up and put on some heat resistant food safe silicon on the base and haven't seen an issue since.

What brand, i have DAP food grade ? How does it hold in time ? at the point of contact with the elements it will get really hot even when is submerged.

I found this anode but I don't want to put another hole in the keg. It's a good deal.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000701HEQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
DAP is what I used based on recommendations on this forum. I just applied it to the base and I don't see any effects around the element. I use an ulwd element, not sure that matters or not.

Can someone post a picture of how they applied the sealant? I've got 2x 5500w camcos for my setup and I want to try and do this before I fire them now...

DAP is what I used based on recommendations on this forum. I just applied it to the base and I don't see any effects around the element. I use an ulwd element, not sure that matters or not.

So the DAP doesn't peal off in time at 170+ temps.

Can someone post a picture of how they applied the sealant? I've got 2x 5500w camcos for my setup and I want to try and do this before I fire them now...

Work has been hellish...if I can find time around the long hours of late I will take a picture for you.

I found this helpful, NSF Silicon ratings

not sure what this is referring to on the NSF listing...
These materials are acceptable for repeated use only

But I figure it was referring to repeated contact with food. so I went with the 100 grade silicone.

I just ordered some RTV108 from amazon for my BIAB kettle Im building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing fancy, but here is what mine looks like.

image-986770822.jpg

I used EMI 5005 red. The tube says 400F but their web site says the red is high temp 500F.

image-751788850.jpg

Back