sanitizing the right way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
I use star san and brew outside in my shed. I sanitize everything before I start my brewing and set it all on my bench that is covered in clean paper towels. Is it ok to leave it out like that or shoukd I sanitize it all just before I need it.

I make sure everything is clean before I begin, then I sanitize (or re-sanitize) right before use. This way there is less chance of something nasty getting into my wort or beer. I use a spray bottle with my Star San so I can just spray things down on the go. As long as your bench and paper towels are sanitized, I doubt you'd see any problems by doing it your way.

I will admit to sanatizing as a start a boil, and re sanatizing just before I put things into my fermentor. I generally use a spray bottle, and I figure I'll just rehit it... I've yet to use 1 gallon of sanatizer in a brewday, and since I make a one gallon lot that sometimes has to be tossed (Idaphor remake when clear) I don't mind a little 'wastage'

I keep a bucket of starsan on hand as well as the spray bottle. Just dunk everything before you need it. As far as carboys go I tend to sanitize them before the late hop additions start and just toss an airlock on them.

I sanitize everything in a large Tupperware container; draining hose, funnel, airlock and stopper. Then I just do a quick rinse on them and store them in the container with the sanitized lid on until I need them. Carboy is fully submerged in star San until I turn on my immersion chiller. Then it gets a quick rinse before filling. I know I shouldn't rise the star San but I hate the foam!

Don't fear the foam! It breaks down into yeast nutrient according to five star. Just get a carboy drain rack if you want the foam to run out.

Back