Chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
I've got an amber ale that's very clear until it get's fridged for a while. I used Irish moss, a wort chiller and a very vigorous boil. What else causes chill haze?
mash specs were 152F for 60mins.

It tastes great so I don't care too much, I've just never had haze when using irish moss before.

How long has it been in the fridge? My beers have some haze when they've been in the fridge less than 2wks. After 2weeks they are brilliantly clear. Haze will fall out

They've only been in the fridge for a week. I'll tuck em out of sight in my fridge for another week. thanks for the speedy reply!

Cold conditioning is the only way to get rid of chill haze. Good breaks in the kettle help but some proteins stay in solution. Cold gets them to coagulate. Once they coagulate (break out of solution) they will fall out by gravity. Finings can really help, but have to be done before bottling to work. They bind to the proteins and weigh them down to fall to the bottom faster. The haze dosen't weigh very much and can take a long time to fall out on it's own.

Ever since I got my ice bath for the wort chill down to 20 minutes or so,I get less chill haze at fridge time. It takes some 12 hours to show up,but settles out in a day or two.

Back