Left Yeast in hot car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergy9

Reaction score
I accidentally left my tube of yeast of the car this weekend following a trip to the LHBS. It probably spent 4-6 hours in the hot vehicle with temps i am guessing into the 90's. Is this yeast still good or should i get a new one?

i'd just get a new one. while you're there pick up a few packets of dry yeast, you can use them in these types of "emergencies" or you might like them and start using them regularly like i do.

I once left an activated Wyeast pack out on my deck (in the sun) and the black package was nearly too hot to touch when I remembered...it made a starter without difficulty, and a good beer...

If you can return it and get a new one for no extra cost, do it.
If you need yeast immediately, get a new one.
If you have the time, try out a starter.

Nothing wrong with seeing if it's still viable if the alternative is to dump it, no matter if the yeast has been hot, or it's over a year old.

It should be fine. People get yeast shipped all the time and they undergo big temp swings. How do you think yeast gets to the LHBS? Make starter as suggested !

Back