ubiquitous First Apple Cider post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamer

Reaction score
hey there, don't want to bug anyone with my newbie question, as it looks like most people who know something here are busy fielding everyone else's questions, but i just want to know a thing or two:
1) right now my apple juice is pretty cold because i just took it outta the fridge -- is it too cold to add yeast to? Or should I wait until the morning when it's room temp?
2) i'm going to leave it at about 60-65F degrees for fermentation. Is that a good temperature?
3) is pasturization necessary? because i'm probably not going to do that.
4) so far it seems like most people who write on the net about ther ciders never seem to add sulfites; i dislike these, as i think they give me headaches. are any of you secretly adding sulfites to your ciders? i'm planning on making mine as delicious and natural as possible.
5) thank you!

yes, wait, yes, no,
Most don't unless they want to back-sweeten. If dry ciders are your goal, no worry.

Just make sure your cider has no preservatives. Other than that, you can't mess it up.

well i made it myself so i'm sure there are no preservatives in it, but about pasturization: you seriously think it's neccessary? because i knew people that would not pasturize because they thought it looked ugly or something (cloudy) then would dump a lot of sulfites into it (yuk). i'm going for the raw deal here (in a good way :)

also, i mixed some yeast with room temp cider and a couple grams of sugar and let it sit around 10 hours or so, and it's still not bubbling, even after adding it to my cider (only 1.75 liters at this time). did i not add enough? i added a few pinches from a small vial of Epernay II; i was told that the one vial would ferment 10 gallons. i aerated the small cup of cider by mixing it back and forth between two glasses. am i just impatient or is my yeast dead?
thanks!

I think you've got dead yeast... I usually see activity withing 30 minutes using a starter of fresh juice @ ~75/80C. The only thing I can think is that your temp was too hot/cold?

Back