Liquid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeloBubba

Reaction score
Just put my third batch into the fermenter. I decided to used liquid yeast this time (WL London Pale Ale for an India Pale Ale recipe) instead of the dry stuff and have some questions about the differences between the two.

I didn't use a starter as the OG for this batch was not above the amount requiring one. I followed the directions and pitched the yeast into the 5 gal. wort at about 72deg. and stirred for several minutes before applying the lid and airlock.

After a little less than 24hrs I still don't see much sign of fermentation occuring. Is this normal? Because at this time with the dry yeast I saw much more activity.

I used the yeast within a day of it being shipped to me, but when I recieved it the ice pack that came with it was already spent....could this be the problem?

Thanks for the help.

I think you will be OK. By just pitching the vial it may take a good 24 or more hours for the yeast to reproduce enough and start to ferment. Keep it in the temperature range and I bet it will start pretty soon. What you might plan on now it another brew right on top of this one with the yeast growth you will have at the end of primary. I just did this for the first time today and within 1 hour it was pouring out of the blow off tube and churning like mad in the carboy. I knew it would start fast and strong but not quite that fast.:)

I've noticed that when I use smack packs even for small brews if I aerate it takes off allot quicker...also what was your yeast temp versus your wort...it should be as close together as possible. I always plan on brewing two batches when I use a liquid yeast. It works out great. I threw a barley wine at 1.085 on a wyyeast 1056 cake 7 days ago and its already down to 1.012!

Back