how long to rack with spices???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
Hey guys need some advice from some expereinced brewers. I just transfered my Altbier from the primary to my secondary and after tasting it thought it would go great as a holiday beer so I put a Tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon each of allspice nutmeg and ginger into a cheescloth wrap. How long do u guys usually leave the spices in there??? I usually leave it in the secondary for about 2 weeks. Too Long? Too short? Deos the longer I leave it in there effect the intensity of the spices in the flavor???

I have had such good luck with making spice teas that I will probably never try another technique.
I wait until all fermentation is complete, and it's time to package the beer.
I just steep the spices in hot water for 10-15 minutes, then strain/filter out the spice bits.
Then you add a little 'spice tea' to the beer, stir, taste, add a bit more until you get it just where you want.
Spices are such a subjective thing that it's almost impossible to say 'Use x ounces in x gallons of beer'.

Spices are such a subjective thing that it's almost impossible to say 'Use x ounces in x gallons of beer'.

This...I would always underspice rather than overspice. I'd rather be slightly disappointed with the beers spice profile then have an undrinkable beer or something that you would have to age to get it to mellow. I had to do this with my Noble BoPils...not really an issue since it does better with age but something to consider.

Not that this helps, but I add spices at either 5 minutes or flameout and tend to get the profile I like that way, I do like more subtle flavors from them. The spice tea or your method will work.

thanks wolfman. I really like ur method and will probably try that next time. It seems easier to moderate the flavor and get it just right.

Back