BeerSmith, recipies, batch size, and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
Been trying out BeerSmith and decided to load some recipies found here. I'm trying to use it to dial in my process, but I am now confused about the format of the recipies.

Almost all recipies are a batch size of 5.5 gallons, and list an efficiency. Is this 5.5 gallons what goes into the fermenter, after leaving the trub behind? Or is it 5.5 gallons after the boil-off, losing then another .5 gallons to the trub and hops, with 5 gallons into the fermenter?

This will make a big difference when using the "Set boil volume based on equipment", as the amount left behind in the kettle now comes into play.

IIRC, most recipes are designed to have 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermenter so you will end up with 5 total gallons when bottling. An approximate normal pre-boil volume for a 5 gallon batch would be 6.5 gallons boiling off approximately 1 gallon in the 60 minute boil, with ~5.5 gallons into the fermenter. Loss of .25-.5 gallons from trub in the primary fermenter.

IIRC, most recipes are designed to have 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermenter so you will end up with 5 total gallons when bottling. An approximate normal pre-boil volume for a 5 gallon batch would be 6.5 gallons boiling off approximately 1 gallon in the 60 minute boil, with ~5.5 gallons into the fermenter. Loss of .25-.5 gallons from trub in the primary fermenter.

Yeah, but you almost always leave stuff in the pot, unless you want all that protein and hops transfered into the fermenter. the hops(especially leaf) absorb alot of water. You also loose some to the wort chiller. Beersmith has adjustments for all that.

So when you boil off 1 gallon off of that 6.5 gallons, when you go to the fermenter, you have 5.5 gallons minus the loss to kettle trub and chiller. So it's not 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

Maybe this is why alot of people have very high "brewhouse" efficiencies! It's supposed to include everything you lose. I'm just trying to figure out what people are meaning with the efficiency number they put into their recipes, typically. Extract/Lauter efficiency? Brewhouse efficiency? Some other value?

Most of us that use brewing software like Beersmith, BeerTools, or Promash, are posting the overall brewhouse efficiency.

I don't worry too much about the trub/break material making it into my fermenter it has very little impact on flavor, if any. Actually my last AG brew I boiled off over 2 gallons in a 90 minute boil, and had to add dilution water back into the brew. I missed my numbers both pre-boil SG and OG by 1.001 (it was higher). I still made 81% brewhouse efficiency.

I don't worry too much about the trub/break material making it into my fermenter it has very little impact on flavor, if any.

Makes a difference in clarity/lack of chill haze, how early one can drink it, how long it lasts, and overall taste IMHO. I've done both ways (started brewing in the early 80s), and won't go back to pouring all that break and protein in. I whirlpool and siphon, and don't leave that much, except for the hop absorption, which is VERY significant if doing a 1/2 to 1 pound of leaf hops per 5 gallons, common in IPAs. If you get 80% overall in one of these, then you must be getting 100% mash/lauter effficiency.

Back