Feedback on my Fermentation Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
Hey folks, I have brewed a ton of batches using my current schedule and things have (generally) turned out very well in the end with some very drinkable and delicious beer.

As we all know, homebrewing is art that one never masters. As such, I am asking for feedback on my fermentation schedule and see what you folks think! I call it my one-two-three method!

Primary Fermentation - One Week:
Wort is placed in primary fermentation and carefully kept at 66-68F for a period of one week. During this week, after airlock activity as subsided, I take gravity readings and allow them to stabilize for at least three days before transferring to secondary fermentation (may go beyond 7 days if gravity is still falling).

Secondary Fermentation - Two Weeks:
Same temperature, this fermentation's SG is only periodically monitored to watch for any gravity changes. Samples are also taken every few days to see how the flavors evolve and to see how well the beer is clearing up. After two weeks, I bottle.

Bottle Conditioning:
Three weeks, opening one 12oz beer per week to monitor carbonation and flavor. I usually stretch this out to four or five weeks if I have a higher gravity beer.

Currently I have no problems with this method, just wanted to see what you all think and see sort of where I stand with other methods. :tank:

Hey folks, I have brewed a ton of batches using my current schedule and things have (generally) turned out very well in the end with some very drinkable and delicious beer.

As we all know, homebrewing is art that one never masters. As such, I am asking for feedback on my fermentation schedule and see what you folks think! I call it my one-two-three method!

Primary Fermentation - One Week:
Wort is placed in primary fermentation and carefully kept at 66-68F for a period of one week. During this week, after airlock activity as subsided, I take gravity readings and allow them to stabilize for at least three days before transferring to secondary fermentation (may go beyond 7 days if gravity is still falling).

Secondary Fermentation - Two Weeks:
Same temperature, this fermentation's SG is only periodically monitored to watch for any gravity changes. Samples are also taken every few days to see how the flavors evolve and to see how well the beer is clearing up. After two weeks, I bottle.

Bottle Conditioning:
Three weeks, opening one 12oz beer per week to monitor carbonation and flavor. I usually stretch this out to four or five weeks if I have a higher gravity beer.

Currently I have no problems with this method, just wanted to see what you all think and see sort of where I stand with other methods. :tank:

One size does not fit all.
Different styles and different yeasts have differing requirements.
I rarely secondary and some of the styles of beer I make most are fine to drink after 2 weeks in the bottle whilst others really benefit from a few months in the bottle.

Back