Gunk in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPorter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question concerning getting gunk in bottles from the bottom of the fermenter/bucket.

I was bottling the other day and I had a ton of crap and hops (I dry hopped in secondary) at the bottom of my bottling bucket. I managed to squeeze out an extra 6 pack or so that included a lot of the crud at the bottom of the barrel. I marked these bottles as potentially dodgy (in case I accidentally gave one away and caused someone a :eek: )

I'm curious if anyone else has done this and how did it turn out - will they be drinkable, will they get better or worse over time?

Thanks!

Most or all of it will drop out to the bottom of your bottle just as it did in your primary/secondary. And, if you save those for when u have already had a few of the others, prolbably wouldnt even notice.:D

I usually have this happen with the last 2 or 3 that get bottled. I label the caps of these with a 'C' for Chunky and use them for my carbonation testers.
I.E. let the batch sit and do its thing, after two weeks open one of the Chunkies to see how they are maturing.. In another week open another Chunky, etc. I think its a good way to test the batches readyness while using what you would normally toss.

Good luck!:mug:

Latest posts

Back