Accidental temperature spike

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmureiko

Reaction score
I just finished converting an old shipping container into a fermenting box. I insulated the walls with spray foam and made a few 1 gallon batches of mead to put in it. After going to check on everything this morning, my heater, which is set at 64 deg., had been switched to HIGH all night and the temp was about 88 when I went in there. I immediately swung the doors open and let cool air in, but I think it has been like this for at least 10-12 hours. The past four days have been held at a consistent 64-65 degrees and the fermentations were quite close to being done (yeah, in just four days according to the hydrometer!). Am I hosed???

I had my blueberry mead run high for maybe two days using D47 at about 76-78 degrees. I took a sample of it as i moved it to secondary and it was horribad. I was worrieid but when i racked it again 30 days later it was crazy good. What yeast were u using?

JustinCider said:
I had my blueberry mead run high for maybe two days using D47 at about 76-78 degrees. I took a sample of it as i moved it to secondary and it was horribad. I was worrieid but when i racked it again 30 days later it was crazy good. What yeast were u using?

I just tasted it and its not bad. No strong, harsh flavors. I used Cote de blanc yeast, and I was shooting for a sweeter finish, hence the lower temps... We'll see. :) Thanks!

I used Cote de blanc yeast, and I was shooting for a sweeter finish, hence the lower temps... We'll see. :) Thanks!

What was your original gravity? That will tell you based off of CdB alcohol tolerance of 12-14% if you would anticipate dry or off-dry.

saramc said:
What was your original gravity? That will tell you based off of CdB alcohol tolerance of 12-14% if you would anticipate dry or off-dry.

It was 1.110. So just at the upper end. I read that the lower temps keep the ABV down.

Back